Do I have to report my wifes income: $800?

I made $39k in 2009.

I already filed my taxes. My wife apparently has been doing some admin job at school (she is a full time student) , which has paid her $800 in 2009 and she just got her W2.

Do I need to go back and ammend my tax return and incorporate the $800 she earned?

According to her W2 she paid 0$ in taxes this last year, so i'm not sure if it's worth the trouble of ammending my return, however it may throw me over the ceiling for some of the tax credits I am elegible for such as the Earned Income Credit


Also, we are filing married jointly for the first time this year.

Basically I want to know if they will find out about it and audit me or not. I am not sure the 800$ is even relevant given our relitavely low income

3 Answers

  • Judy
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Yes you have to amend and claim it assuming you filed a joint return. And if you filed as married filing separately, you wouldn't be eligible for those income-limited credits anyway.

    The IRS gets a copy of her W-2 also, so if you don't amend, the IRS will eventually do it for you, and assess you any extra tax due, and you'd have to pay back any part of your refund you aren't entitled to when her income is added. But if you wait for the IRS to do it, you'll also be paying interest and penalties so it will cost you more.

  • 1 decade ago

    If you filed jointly they yes you should go back and ammend your taxes, but if you filed alone then no she should see about late filing for her taxes. I would double check with a company that deals with the IRS all the time.

  • npk
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

    Yes, you must amend your joint return.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.