How long will frozen chicken last?

I've got a couple of frozen chicken breasts, the kind with filling in my freezer, I can't find a best before date on the packaging but they've been in there a couple months, are they ok to keep?

I've also got some precooked meatballs in there too, they're pretty freezer burned, is it worth keeping them?

Best Answer

It depends on how cold your freezer is. Most freezers attached to refrigerators don't get colder than 0 F. The general rule of thumb is to not keep anything longer than 3 months at this temperature. Deep freezers can get as low as -20 F. Food can last for a year or longer at this temp.

Keep the chicken, throw out the meatballs.

Source(s): professional chef culinary school grad 29 years in the industry
  • kimbo

all depends on several things if the food has come into direct contact with the air in the freezer then it will dry out and not be any use at all but if it is well wrapped then about four months and even up to six months forget about the best before date that's just saying that it is best before that date not crap after it was the chicken frozen when you got it so just ignore that

• tuffy

Chicken can be frozen for 4 months

Beef for about 6 months

Try the meatballs, toss if you're unsure.

• Mary

Yes. Don't keep any meat frozen for more than 6 months just to be sure. Put a label on it when you put it in the freezer with the date of freezing and a use by date. You don't want food poisoning.

Frozen chicken is good for about 6 months in the freezer.

I'd just toss the meatballs, they'll defrost soggy and mushy.

chicken should be ok as long as its not freezer burnt, i would toss meatballs though and just use chicken as soon as you can

depends on the star rating of your freezer can be 1 star 1month to 4 star 4 months max.

about 2 weeks

something frozen will last for as long as its frozen at a fairly constant temperature, as bacteria cannot function in these conditions.

until its defrosted