A good movie to represent America Horror film?

I'm writing a Documentary Script for my IB Film class.

My script is going to be a comparison between types of horror from four different countries.

I've already got my first three countries picked: Korea, Italy and New Zealand.

Now Im deciding between the U.S and Spain (and possibly Germany.. I'm looking into that more)

But anyways, to the question..

What's a good American horror movie that represents a lot of american horror.. weather it be story wise, cinematography wise, anything. (Preferably nothing before the 70's)

Some director's that I thought of are: Wes Craven, Raimi, Hooper, Carpenter and Romero. But their all so different.. I don't know what movie would be a good pick to represent American horror.

Any opinions? Please :)

Hitchcock was a English director.

Favorite Answer

I second Professional Peon's Romero suggestion.

Beyond that, I wanted to suggest you look into French-language horror over German (there isn't much post-70s beyond films like Anatomy, Creep, and the notoriously awful Uwe Boll films) and Spanish (also not an awful lot of horror--Rec, The Orphanage . . ) horror as your other choice.

There are a whole slew of French-language horror films that have come out in the last 5-10 years alone that are . . intense (either relentless or completely whacked out like the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre): A l'Interieur, Martyrs, Ils, Haute Tension, Frontier(e)s, Calvaire (Belgian), Deep in the Woods .... But you also have horrors like Les Revenants (They Came Back). Just suggesting a route you might get more mileage out of.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_French_Extremity#...

Good luck.

Source(s): watching the suggestions of the horror fanatics I know

I vote for Romero besides his zombie movies he was involved with Tales of the Darkside. I suggest you look them all up on IMDB.com and see which one you like the best.

You have to pick the USA.

Even if you don't want films made before 1970, when thinking of horror films, you can't go past Hitchcock, he is/was the greatest.

"The Birds" was epic.