Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

kyle1553 asked in SportsSwimming & Diving · 1 decade ago

should middle schools have swimming pools?

We have this debate thing at school. So i need some reasons for both yes or no.

19 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Speaking as a parent of a daughter who is now in high school, in the California public school system, I have to ask:

Where would you get the money? The reality right now is that in every school district in California, and most of the districts in the USA, schools are hurting-- BADLY-- for funding, to the point where teachers are being laid off, class sizes are being increased, some classes on both the college prep end on the vocational end of the spectrum are being cut, and things like field trips are being cut.

Swimming pools are horrendously expensive compared to other kinds of athletic equipment. Their maintenance is very high, and the liability insurance for swimming pools is astronomical. The benefit of having a pool is not commensurate with the cost of having one. Swimming pools? Sure, they'd be nice. And that's exactly the point: a pool is a "nice to have" item, not a "need to have" item. You don't go out and buy "nice to haves" when you're having to cut your "need to haves" to the bone.

• 1 decade ago

definetly

it encourages more people to actually participate in p.e., rather than just be lazy. because almost everybody enjoys swimming

but no, because if some people can't swim, it can suck for that person to see everyone swimming

another thing is how many grades are in the middle school. if there are only 2 or 3 it mite not be a good investment. thats why more high schools have pools

• 1 decade ago

i don't think all middle schools NEED swimming pools, but they can be great, especially if your school has a swim team. or for general physical education stuff. its not like if you had a pool people would be hanging out there during lunch and stuff. it would be for school extra-curriculars.

on the other hand, it would increase taxes for the community and fees for the students to build and maintain the pool, and unless it was opened up to the community there would be little to no return on that investment.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes that would be AWESOME!!! and it would keep kids healthier and kids on swim team could practice during their gym period and you could have a swim team if you dont already in your area and you could have swimming races and have the parents come and they pay and the school gets more money.

No that would be extremely expensive and the upkeep would be even more expensive, and theres no use to it in the winter and you still have to keep it up and we dont have any room to put it indoors (maybe) and the school cant afford it and um....thats all i got for no..

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

No they shouldn't.

It is a risk to a child if they sneak in the pool room by themselves and swim- they could drown and the school could be sued.

for a yes statement, you could say it would help the physical ed. class by giving them a new exercise and helping to exercise unhealthy, over weight children that do not get enough exercise at home.

• 1 decade ago

NO, only because we had one in my middle school and 5 kids died not at the same time but all drowned because they kids played around to much and pushed kids in or jus goofin around my point is middle schools kids are to immature to have pools!!! if they do it should not be more than 5ft

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

no: gym will have swimming and make people feel awk

yes: during summer swimming? safety? swim teams? and also being able to swimm during gym

• 1 decade ago

yes, helps exercise Americans fat asses lol. No, expensive and wouldn't really help kids learn more, make school longer possible, and drowning hazards with young kids.

• 1 decade ago

yes, swimming is great exercise.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

in high school its ok but middle school its just wierd

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.