Can Muslims Celebrate Birthdays?

Are Muslims allowed to celebrate birthdays? My dad never let me or my twin celebrate birthdays so we never had a party or cake/presents or anything. and that hurt because all of our friends muslims & non Muslims got presents off their parents and birthday parties, but we never did and that hurt us a lot, we felt deprived. We have two little sister and we don't want them to feel left out like we did so i just wanted to know if birthday's are allowed in Islam?

Thank You soo much in Advance!

All Answers are greatly appreciated!

:)

Favorite Answer

Question:

Is it permitted to celebrate birthdays?

Answer:

In the name of Allah, Most Compassionate, Most Merciful,

Principally, birthdays are not something that should be celebrated or to be happy about. When it is someone's birthday, one year of his/her life has decreased, and not increased. As such, what intelligence is there in celebrating and showing happiness when a year has decreased in one's life?

Before understanding the legal ruling with regards to birthday celebrations, it is worth remembering here that imitation of the unbelievers (Kuffar) is something that Islam strictly disapproves of.

In a Hadith recorded by Imam Abu Dawud (Allah have Mercy on him) and others, The Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said:

�Whosoever imitates a nation is amongst them�. (Sunan Abu Dawud,)

It should be remembered here that not everything what the non-Muslims wear and do, is Haram and unlawful. Imitation, which is prohibited, is effected in one of the following two ways:

a) One does something with the intention of imitating the Kuffar, meaning one does so because one wants to be like a particular non-believer or non-believers.

b) Doing something that is unique and exclusive to the non-believers or it is part of their faith. This will also be considered imitation, thus Haram (unlawful). (See the Fatwa of Shaykh Mufti Taqi Usmani).

In light of the above, there are few situations with regards to the Shariah (legal) ruling on celebrating birthdays:

1)If it is celebrated by imitating the Kuffar in that all or some of the customs that are unique with the Kuffar are adopted, or acts that are unlawful in Shariah are committed, then there is no doubt in its impermissibility. The lighting of candles on a cake that number the years of one�s life and then blowing on them, playing of music, singing, extravagant and lavish spending, showing off, etc are all unlawful and forbidden practices. Thus, if birthdays are celebrated by adopting the above-mentioned customs, it will not be permissible.

2)If the above-mentioned evils are avoided, then there are two possibilities:

a) If one celebrates birthdays with the intention of imitating the Kuffar meaning one does so because one wants to be like the Kuffar, then, as stated previously, it will be considered imitating the Kuffar, thus unlawful.

b) If there is no intention of imitating the Kuffar (and also the above mentioned evils are avoided) then the ruling on celebrating birthdays will depend on whether it originated from the religious customs of the non-Muslims and it is part of their faith. (It can not be considered to be unique with the Kuffar, for celebrating birthdays has become a widespread phenomenon that is carried out in many different parts of the world). I am personally unaware of whether celebrating birthdays has a connection with the Christian faith or other wise, thus I am unable to give a decisive ruling.

However, I have mentioned the criterion of which the ruling will be based. If the origins of birthday celebrations are connected to a particular faith, then there is no doubt in its impermissibility. If, however, it has no connections with the faith of the non-Muslims, then (and Allah knows best) it seems that it would be permissible to celebrate it (provided the evils mentioned above are avoided).

3)If one thanks Allah and shows gratitude for being blessed with one more year of his life, thus expresses happiness and joy, then there is nothing wrong with that. (See: al-Fatawa al-Rahimiyya (urdu), 6/320).

And Allah knows best

Muhammad ibn Adam al-Kawthari

Darul Iftaa, Leicester, UK

www.daruliftaa.org

• rhone

Do Muslims Celebrate Birthdays

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Can Muslims Celebrate Birthdays?

Are Muslims allowed to celebrate birthdays? My dad never let me or my twin celebrate birthdays so we never had a party or cake/presents or anything. and that hurt because all of our friends muslims & non Muslims got presents off their parents and birthday parties, but we never did and that hurt us...

Source(s): muslims celebrate birthdays: https://biturl.im/mCHYP

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avd5m

It's controversial issue. Some scholars say Muslims are not supposed to celebrate other than Eid Al Fitr (post Ramdan) and Eid Al Adha (Haj Eid) and they base their argument on the Prophet (pbuh) saying that "kul bed'ah dha-lalah wa kul dha-lalah fy alnar" which implies that introducing new rituals is not allowed. Some other scholars say that introducing non-religious rituals is fine and that the narration is about religious rituals not that one introduce in own life. I go with the second opinion.

The evidence in the qur'aan and Sunaah indicates that celebrating birthdays is a kind of bid'ah or innovation in religion, which has no basis in the pure sharee'ah.

Birth Records Search Database : http://BirthRecords.neatprim.com

assalaamu aleikum, sis.

you can celebrate birthdays. but we are not supposed to, probably because it was originally a Christian tradition. I think that mostly fundamental Muslims don't like to celebrate birthdays. but my family is Christian, so I really have no choice about celebrating birthdays.

• i do not recommend it thus people do it now days. why don't you give out the money you spend on the cake and food to poor and pray to allah for blessing you with one more day to live and worship him.

Haseeb ullah Ahmadi : Afghanistan

Yes... why not?

If you saw your muslim friends having birthday parties and such like, then this means an obvious yes to your answer. Maybe your dad's reasons for not celebrating birthdays were more personal.

but as far as I know, there is no reason NOT to celebrate birthdays...

Yes. Muslims are allowed to celebrate birthdays. In assence, a birthday cellabration brings many people togather and lets them have a good and moral time. Also, when you cellabrate a birthday it is showing Allah that you are remembering the blessing of life that He bestoed upon you.

Prophet Muhammad didn't cellabrate his birthday, but that only was because he did not want it to turn in to a holiday, witch could have led to him being worshiped like a god. So, cellabrate your birthday, have fun, and remember your blessings.

Source(s): Ironically, I was born on my mom's birthday, witch was also the first day of the month of Ramadan.