Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsDiabetes · 1 decade ago

are there any machines that allow you to constantly monitor blood glucose readings?

instead of having to check using strips.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

A continuous glucose monitoring system (CGMS) is an FDA-approved device that records blood sugar levels throughout the day and night. There are a number of technologies that are being tested but the only approved device, Medtronic's MiniMed device, can provide up to 288 glucose measurements every 24 hours. The system is used to measure an average blood sugar for up to 3 days, while the person with diabetes continues daily activities at home. A tiny glucose-sensing device called a "sensor" is inserted just under the skin of your abdomen. The insertion is quick, and is usually not painful. The sensor measures the level of glucose in the tissue every 10 seconds and sends the information via a wire to a pager-sized device called a "monitor" that you attach to a belt or the waistline of your pants. The system automatically records an average glucose value every 5 minutes for up to 72 hours.

CGMS is, however, not intended for day-to-day monitoring or long-term self-care and it is not a replacement for standard blood sugar monitoring. It is only intended as diagnostic tool to discover trends in glucose levels. This helps your health care team make the most appropriate decisions regarding your treatment plan.

After 3 days, the sensor is removed at the doctor's office and the information stored in the CGMS is downloaded into a computer, where you and your doctor or diabetes health care team can then review your blood sugar levels in relation to the other data collected and make any necessary adjustments in your diabetes management plan.

To answer your question, yes there is a machine that will constantly monitor blood glucose readings, however it is used as diagnostic tool only. Even then, you still have to calibrate the machine by using fingerstick blood glucose reading. Hopefully though, in the next 5 years, we will see a breakthrough in diabetes technology.

Source(s): Currently interning in endocrinology/diabetes clinic http://diabetes.webmd.com/continuous-glucose-monit...
  • 4 years ago

Source(s): Secret To Destroy Diabetes : http://DiabetesCure.raiwi.com/?jiyK
  • 3 years ago

Source(s): My Diabetes Gone Completely - http://DiabetesGoFar.com/?BbdM
  • 1 decade ago

no. there are no machines that can allow you to stop doing fingerpricks to check your BGL.

but there ARE CGMS's (continuous glucose monitoring systems), which take a reading about every 5 minutes. They have a sensor which you insert into the subcutaneous tissue which transmits the reading via a wireless connection to the monitoring system, which is about the size of a mobile phone. They are a very useful tool for monitoring trends and improving control. They also have alarms which you can set to sound if your BGL goes too high or low.

CGMS however can not be used to replace fingerpricks, as the BGL in the tissue where they take their readings has about a 15-20min delay to that of the BGL of your blood. Which is not accurate enough for use as a pre-bolus BGL reading, so sadly we still have to make ourselves bleed!

CGMS is also extremely expensive, and extremely hard to get covered by insurance.

Source(s): type 1 diabetic
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • A Bean
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

I recently wore a Mini Med I-pro from my doctor for 3 days. I will be wearing one again soon for 2 weeks to get a better idea of what is going on with my sugars. It works along with the pump so the doctor can get a better idea of highs and lows and what exactly is causing them. The thing with the I-Pro is that when my blood tester said I was 50 the I-Pro said 80. They are just to get an idea and aren't 100% accurate because they aren't actually reading your blood glucose levels they are reading tissue levels. You must still finger stick to be certain.

Mini Med makes a Continuous Glucose Monitoring system that you can buy to work along with the pump. They run approx. $1000 American and most insurances do not cover them because they aren't as accurate as a blood test.

So yes there is a CGMS available but you still have to constantly do blood tests. Kinda sucks that technology has come so far on so many things but as a diabetic we still kind of live in the stone age.

Source(s): Type 1 for 39 years, pumper.
  • 1 decade ago

Absolutely. It's called a CGMS (Continuous Glucose Monitoring System), and it works hand-in-hand with an insulin pump (Continuous Subcutaneous Insulin Infusion).

I will tell you this though, they are incredibly expensive to run. You have to change the site where the sensor is inserted into your body every 3 or 4 days, and they cost over £50 each. (That's roughly $80 American by today's exchange rate.)

The "monitor" that Orly refers to is actually the pump, and they do NOT connect via a cable. The information is transmitted wirelessly. There's also no need to go to the doctor's office to have the sensor removed. This is done by yourself, at home, just as you change the infusion set for a pump.

As Orly states, however, you would still need to do fingerprick tests, as this is how the sensor/pump combination is calibrated.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.