Do ultrasonic pest repellers actually work on spiders?

I've read various reviews about these plug-in ultrasonic pest repellers, and some people swear by them and say they've completely banished spiders and other creepy-crawlies from their homes, while others say they're complete rubbish. In particular I hate spiders (yes, I know they eat other beasties... show more I've read various reviews about these plug-in ultrasonic pest repellers, and some people swear by them and say they've completely banished spiders and other creepy-crawlies from their homes, while others say they're complete rubbish.

In particular I hate spiders (yes, I know they eat other beasties and generally aren't harmful, but I still hate them, particularly if I see them and then they scuttle off behind things so I know they're there but I can't see them). I know there are various natural and semi-natural ways to deter them, most of which seem to involve spraying stuff in various places or putting things in nooks and crannies, which can be a bit of a problem, as I'm disabled and find bending and reaching difficult.

Is there any scientific basis to ultrasonic sounds repelling insects?
10 answers 10