How can I reclaim my pistol after being detained by the CT state police?

Yesterday, at six A.M. I was stopped for a supposed busted taillight. Long story short, I politely informed the officer that I was indeed carrying a handgun (location on person), and presented my CT state pistol permit along with my driver's license. This particular officer leveled his firearm at my head from... show more Yesterday, at six A.M. I was stopped for a supposed busted taillight. Long story short, I politely informed the officer that I was indeed carrying a handgun (location on person), and presented my CT state pistol permit along with my driver's license. This particular officer leveled his firearm at my head from no more than five feet away, told me to get out of the car with my hands behind my head, and slowly walk to the hood of the car. This particular officer handcuffed me, then took my pistol, slammed it into the hood of my car (dinging the hood and marring up the pistol), where the pistol skittered off of the hood onto the asphalt; marring it up even further (I assume because I was handcuffed and in the squad car before it was retrieved).

I was detained for nearly 12 hours, my personal property damage/destroyed, and I feel it was a prime example of police misuse of power.

I have not retrieved my pistol, and my car was impounded. I've managed to retrieve my vehicle, however they refuse to turn over my Ruger Mk.II, even though I *was* (*was* = pending) not charged in any way, shape or form.

*I am looking for an attorney, and have not found one yet. I am merely looking for preliminary advice.

I repeat, I am *seeking* an attorney, and have not yet hired one.
Update: I drive a 1998 Ford Crown Victoria... an ex-state police car. Yes the taillight was out (without my knowledge prior), however this particular officer has a bit of a "track record" if you know what I mean. I almost wonder if the bastards will try getting me on "impersonating" an officer (gray... show more I drive a 1998 Ford Crown Victoria... an ex-state police car. Yes the taillight was out (without my knowledge prior), however this particular officer has a bit of a "track record" if you know what I mean. I almost wonder if the bastards will try getting me on "impersonating" an officer (gray shirt and gray slacks + ex state car = impersonation???)
Update 2: And yes, I can legally carry handguns within the state of CT. It was not exposed, nor did I make *any* gesture that I was a threat to this particular officer's safety, or otherwise a combatant.
Update 3: Dammit, my spelling and grammar has gone downhill. Sorry for the various typos everyone.
Update 4: It would seem that no-one is pressing charges as of now. However, I'm wondering how worth it it would be to pursue the state of CT (or at least this officer) on damages. Still thinking about it.