Domestic violence help please - am I being overdramatic?

Sorry for the long details but I thank anyone who reads this, understands and answers this. I have been with my partner for 5 months however known him for a couple of years as we have a mutual friend. Over the last couple of months I have noticed his aggression. At first it was great, he was lovely and I was really... show more Sorry for the long details but I thank anyone who reads this, understands and answers this. I have been with my partner for 5 months however known him for a couple of years as we have a mutual friend. Over the last couple of months I have noticed his aggression. At first it was great, he was lovely and I was really happy but as soon as one another got comfortable with each other things started to turn nasty. I can’t remember the first time he hurt me but it started off with him showing his aggression through slamming my car door, or punching the dashboard.. this progressed and he started pushing me around. I stood up to him and told him that it was his last chance and he said sorry and bought me a gift. I then thought that he had accepted he had a problem and that he was going to sort himself out. Not too long after, he lost control. We don’t live together however we see each other everyday. He doesn’t trust me especially when it comes to going on the internet/phone as I have a history of online dating which he believes I am still doing. He never tells me I cant see my friends or go dancing like I used to however he will make me feel bad if I was going to go. We argue a hell of a lot but recently he has tried to remove himself from the situation by either leaving the house or sleeping on the sofa. When he left the house I followed him and managed to persuade him to come back and everything was ok. The next time, he had gone out with his mates and came back to mine at 1am. I had waited up for him and was quite tired and miserable when he got in. Because I was being off with him and he was drunk and happy he got the hump and went to sleep on the sofa as there were no trains home. I then got him up from the sofa to get him to go to bed as I was worried about his back etc. This caused a massive row and he ended up hurting me. It started with little pinches, then biting, pushing me off the bed, holding me down on the bed shouting in my face and threatening me, pulling my hair, holding his hand over my mouth, threatening to hit me, that he will come back and haunt me, that he would put a sock in my mouth if I don’t shut up, that I was lucky I was a woman.. one pinch he done made me have a huge bruise and hurt for days. During the argument he took my phone and would let me have it back. Admittedly I did try and hurt him back in self-defence but he tried to turn it around on me and called the police to report me assaulting him. When the police arrived they saw my bruises and arrested him. This made him angry and he got angry at the police officers too. When he was let out the next day he blamed me for getting him in trouble and he didn’t understand why he was getting arrested for “just a pinch” and he hadn’t done anything wrong. I love him and it hurt me to think that I would loose him even though I should have been angry at him. I waited for him to contact me and the night he was realised he called me asking how I was. We spoke and sorted things out. However it made me believe that it was my fault because I provoked him and that it was just a pinch. He is good friends with my dad and one of his mates who both abuse their partners but he is certain that he is not like them. The only thing that came out of the argument was him admitting to having a short fuse which he needs to work on but I want to make him realise that “just a pinch” is totally unacceptable. I love him and we plan to get married and have kids however Im not scared that it will get worse. He tells me that I cant talk to my mates about anything as he don’t want anyone getting involved with our relationship or judge him in any way. I then feel isolated and he doesn’t understand that I need to talk to someone. He wants me to only talk to him if there is a problem and doesn’t want anyone else influencing my decision. I’m hurting so bad and trying to tip toe around to keep him happy but at the end of the day I’m not happy. I know I should leave him but I really want to make this work.
20 answers 20