Dory
Dory asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsCancer · 1 decade ago

How long do biopsy results take?

Does any one know how long it takes to get biopsy results once you have a tumour removed.

Thank you for all your answers. I am having a tumour removed and have been told by the gynecological oncologist that I will be in hospital for 7 to 10 days. So I was hoping that I would get the results before I leave.

Favorite Answer

I had a colon polyp biopsy taken on 9th November 2009 - I was told that I would get the results in about three weeks. I actually got the results on Jan 11th 2010 !!!!!!

It is YOUR body and YOUR fate is in YOUR hands ..... be in control and keep badgering your GP if you have not got the results by the time leave hospital.

Physicians, doctors and surgeons don't seem to have any idea of the mental stress they can inflict on their patients by 'keeping them in the dark'

• lyng

Brain Biopsy Results

• JLI

Depends on what time of the day the biopsy was taken. A small biopsy taken early in the day, can technically be processed so it is ready for microscopy the following day.Sometimes additional "stainings" (eg. immunohistochemistry) are necessary, which will add a day or two (in some cases a few more days). A pathologist can only examine one biopsy at a time, but usually those with cancer suspicion are on the top of the stack.

Source(s): Working as a pathologist
  • Depends on the lab. Mine took about 2 weeks but mine was a STAT result for grade 4 brain cancer. Some take a matter of 2 days and some take weeks.

Source(s): Brain cancer patient & I work in the medical market research field

A proper tissue biopsy might take 2 -3 weeks to report.

Sorry to say it depends. Sometimes the result is quite complex and samples are assessed by several doctors even being sent for opinions in other areas.

Source(s): GP for more years than I care to remember

My Gastrointerologist said it would take 2-3 days, but my regular doctor was able to "bully" the lab (his word) into getting the results sooner.

Normally 3 to 5 business days. Going from my past experience and what I have observed.

Well as you can tell by the answers on here, it depends.

Could be anywhere from the same day, to several weeks. Often it depends on the urgency of the case itself.

• CMH

I had my results in a week for breast cancer.