Queens Counsel?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Can someone explain the idea of queens counsel to me in very simple terms?

I spend 2 hours searching it up and I still don't understand. There is a reference to it in a book that I have to read. Is it solely a British practice? Does it happen in other places like Sri Lanka cause thats where the story in the book takes place?

Favorite Answer

Yes, it happens also in Sri Lanka and in all the Commonwealth countries http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_members_of_th... . But the name is Presidential's Counsel and it's the same thing as Queen's Counsel.

------- From Wikipedia

President's Counsel (postnominal PC) is a professional rank, as their status is conferred by the president, recognised by the courts and wear silk gowns of a special design. It is the equivalent of the rank of Queen's Counsel in the United Kingdom, which was use in Ceylon (Sri Lanka) until 1972 when Sri Lanka became a republic, when the position became that of Senior Attorney-at-Law. In 1984 the position became the President's Counsel. The holder can use the post-nominal letters PC after his or her name.

----

The simplest explanation I found it's this:

-------------- From Wikipedia

Queen's Counsel (postnominal QC), during the reign of a male sovereign known as King's Counsel (KC), are senior lawyers in various Commonwealth countries.

They are appointed by letters patent to be one of "Her Majesty's Counsel learned in the law". They are not a separate type of lawyer. They are more than long serving lawyers, because their status is given by the Crown and recognised by the courts.

Queen's Counsel have the privilege of sitting within the Bar of court, and wear silk gowns of a special design (hence the informal title Silks). The special robes are the reason why becoming a QC is often called "taking silk".

In order to "take silk" a lawyer usually has to serve as a barrister or a Scottish advocate for at least 10 years. Recently solicitors have also been appointed Queen's Counsel.

A QC's status means they generally charge higher fees than ordinary barristers, and always have another barrister as an assistant. This assistant is called a "junior" even if the junior has been a lawyer longer than the "silk".

------------

Hope it explain...