Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsHockey · 1 decade ago

If Johan Franzen is close to returning?

I guess it would then be likely that he'd be added to Team Sweden's Olympic Roster?! I guess someone would have to get hurt for that to happen though?!

How do you Wings fans feel about the possibility that he could return for just a few games and then go right into the fire of high intensity playoff style hockey?

:) Just remembered I have him on two of my Fantasy teams!

Nips.......because he doesn't want to or because he does not yet have a spot?

Nips.....he doesn't really say that he wouldn't......it says that he says that if he can only play a couple of games before the break then he would consider using the break as extra rest (but oddly doesn't quote him on it).

Nips......I have always thought the long season stuff was pretty overrated....how ling does a professional athlete need to recover for a new season? Most of them play quite a bit in the summer too.....I know Crosby plays everyday during the break. If June, July and August isn't enough time to rest up or heal injuries or whatever you have to do then I don't know what is......just my take on the Pens-Wings long seasons.

You- I'd be PISSED if I was paying the bills and he played a handful of games and then the Olympics......I'd be pissed even if I were an owner from Sweden!

• Snid
    Favorite Answer

I thought I read he wouldn't be allowed to play in the Olympics but it's a pretty murky thought. Something like because he wasn't named ot the team he couldn't be on the team unless someone got hurt and the IOC approved it. No, I am not smoking anything. Like I said....pretty murky.

He could be back before the Olympics but I also heard he said he would more than likely wait till after. That's not murky but it is here-say.

The Eaves Report: 8 down, 12 to go.

I have read several times players and coaches saying there is a "Cup Finals hangover". It's one I'd like to have if I were a player. I agree with you, though. I think if they get millions to play a game for a living so you'd think they'd try REAL hard to be up for the season.

The Mule has been cleared by his doctors and expects to be back in about 2 weeks, he needs to rebuild his strength so he's not a liability while he's playing. He may play a few games before the Olympic break if he's feeling good. He probably wouldn't play for team Sweden unless there's an injury and they need him. He'll make an immediate impact when he returns to the Wings. Datsyuk's heating up, Zetterberg's healed, with Franzen they'll be a scary first line. Plus, Franzen will be fresh.

• NIPS®

He WILL NOT play in the Olympics! Read some stuff in Wings writings and pressers.... WILL NOT play in the Olympics.

Franzen said today that if its only 1 or 2 games before the break that he can get back and play he may wait until after the Olympics to return for safety sake. His words.

Source(s): http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2010/01/ch... PS- Stuart got hurt tonight. I am thinking this might be a good year to use the deadline to position the team for the next season and take a long break this summer (well needed) This years UFA class isnt a real stellar group. Guys like Marleau are not going anywhere. It might be wise to use the trade deadline to lock in a few players from teams dumping salaries and such. Just a thought.

He won't play in the Olympics without Ken Holland's approval.

If I were a betting girl, I would say that he will not play for Team Sweden this year and be pretty comfy with the odds.

Source(s): Franzen will not go against Ken Holland's wishes/advice, Tom. It's not about the rules - it's about the respect.
  • you

country loyalty aside, i think he should be loyal to the organization who helps him pay his bills.

Sweden is pretty talented. i will be mildly disappointed if Franzen plays for Sweden just after recovering. however, i will not judge him or hold it against him.

he's been "cleared" to play, but i heard a report today that said, he will most likely wait two weeks. something about him building up his strength.

Sorry folks, Detroit and Holland don't have a say in this. The CBA allows the player to play if he has been cleared.

Source(s): CBA Article 24

The Mule is a Camel?

i thought he was out for the season