Is America the only country that funds the education of forigners?

I am acquainted with several foreigners (legal, non-citizens). I found out that the United State's Government is paying NEARLY their entire college education that they are receiving here, in America. I asked some of my elders about this, and they informed me that this is a common practice. So apparently, foreign people can just up and come here, and be provided with a free education, while our own citizens are forced to put them selves in debt to receive that same education (while also funding the education of foreigners with their tax dollars). Is America the only country screwed up enough to operate this way? Is there some other county with a similar system that we may take advantage of?

• Rain
    Favorite Answer

The majority of the students that you are speaking of are probably involved in high need STEM fields (science, technology, engineering, and math). A small percentage of American students partake in these programs so Universities and the Government will sometimes help fund high achieving students from other countries that choose to come to America to study these subjects. This is one of the major reasons why it is said America is falling behind the rest of the world in education in the sciences. If more American students were to pursue these subjects and succeed then there wouldn't be much of a need to 'import' young knowledge from abroad. In a way it is our own fault this is happening...

this actually is not all that common. they may be doing exchange programs where american citizens are studying abroad for nearly free. or it could be that they are studying something very useful that will be used to the government's advantage, such as in the sciences, economics, or engineering. there are plenty of american students that go and study these things in britain, germany, etc. and don't have to pay (although i'm not sure if those countries are paying for those US students to study, or if it's the university they are attending that waives the fees for them).