PTC paper messing with my throat?

Is it possible that I could be allergic to a chemical in PTC paper? We did a heredity experiment in my science class that showed what students could taste something and who could not, but ever since I tasted it (It was very bitter, by the way.) my voice has been VERY scratchy, and I can barely talk, whisper, or anything. I'm not sick in any other way. Could the PTC paper cause this, or is it something else?

Favorite Answer

As far as PTC paper is concerned, it just contains a chemical to test if people with certain genetic traits can taste it. Of all the studies and tests done with it, there has been no real cases directly relating it to the cause of a throat sickness or inflammation. Now, as for your throat, it could have been you inhaled or consumed a type of germ soon after you tried the PTC paper or a germ was ON the PTC paper itself and entered your body when you tasted it. Like I said, there's no direct connection between PTC causing throat injuries or illness at this time.

I did this demonstration in a Science Class last September. I did not taste anything. That night I started to get itchy and I woke up with hives on my face, neck and back. I am pretty sure the PTC paper did this. I plan on testing this in a few weeks with a blind test using PTC paper and other types of flavorless paper.

I have been looking into this and can not find anyone else who is allergic to PTC. We will see in June 2014 if I am really allergic to it.

I do not check my yahoo mail often, so here is my gmail if you have any questions or comments.

kneelir@gmail.com

I have gotten allergic reactions to it starting yesterday. I went to the UMD and I tried ptc for the same purposes and I have had chicken pox like dots showing up on my hands and feet only. I have also had a sore throat and I have had flaky skin.... You are not the only one possibly allergic................

• Renee

Of course. Wadded tightly, it can be stuffed down your trachea and thus choke you. I think you need to specify what you mean by "harm", exactly.