Are goldfish social creatures, or mindless eating machines?

I'm convinced my goldfish are social animals, as they seem to enjoy swimming in close proximity to each other, and are quite active- In contrast, when I've had just 1 fish in the tank, they seemed a tad listless and depressed. Are goldfish social creatures? An expert told me fish neither feel nor think... show more I'm convinced my goldfish are social animals, as they seem to enjoy swimming in close proximity to each other, and are quite active- In contrast, when I've had just 1 fish in the tank, they seemed a tad listless and depressed. Are goldfish social creatures?

An expert told me fish neither feel nor think as we do, and know only about eating and mating- and have no social relationships with other fish..

So would a goldfish be just as content in isolation as it would in a tank with other fish?