What does Jane Doe mean?

Never Shout Never (Christofer Drew); he has a song named "Jane Doe" and It's been bugging me forever... What does Jane Doe actually mean. The song was about someone he didn't know, so it's not the chick's name. So what does it mean? Better yet... what does "jane" mean alone and "doe" mean alone?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It's a name for a girl or woman whose real name is not known to the speaker. It can also refer to any random female from among the population of a town or country or the whole world. Or in a more abstract way, it can refer to women generally, when contrasting them with men. There's a similar name, "John Doe" that applies to an unknown or random man, or men in general.

"Jane" and "Doe" are just ordinary names. I don't know if there was a reason for choosing them, though Jane is a fairly common name, and so suggests someone ordinary or average.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

Jane Doe Meaning

• 3 years ago

What Does Jane Mean

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Jane Doe is a female who's identity is unknown. It is commonly used among murder and mystery books or shows. Hope this helped.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

It means someone without a known identity. The song is called that because he doesn't know this girl or her name, so she is referred to as "Jane Doe." Males are referred to as "John Doe."

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What does Jane Doe mean?

Never Shout Never (Christofer Drew); he has a song named "Jane Doe" and It's been bugging me forever... What does Jane Doe actually mean. The song was about someone he didn't know, so it's not the chick's name. So what does it mean? Better yet... what does "jane"...

Source(s): jane doe mean: https://tr.im/Hhnxc
  • 1 decade ago

Jane Doe is the name given to a girl (usually, who shows up in a hospital) who is unidentified/ has no known identity at the point. It is a medical term, i guess you could say. The name is replaced once the real identity is found

(John Doe is the name given to a guy who is unidentified)

alone, the names mean nothing. "Jane" is a name and "doe" is a name/deer.

• 1 decade ago

"Jane Doe" is the female equivalent of "John Doe." It means "a person whose identity is unknown."

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.