? asked in PetsFish · 1 decade ago

does warmer water (78-80) make platy fish crazy?

i added a heater and put the heat to 78 since my tank wasn't warm enough. ever since then my fish have been completely different. first, they were afraid of every movement and now they don't care when i come close to the tank. they eat like crazy and also, now they swim like crazy everywhere and my male is bugging all 3 of my females (actually i think one is already pregnant so he doesn't bother her as much). is it too hot or is this normal?

Favorite Answer

Nope that is normal... Warmer water turns the male platy on, hes mating with they when he is chasing them!! You will know they are pregnant because they will get a black gravid spot. Please if you want to keep the fry, please please please do not put them into a breeder box while the mother is giving birth, they healthy fry will rush to the top of the breeder box, often the mother will grab these healthy ones rather than they unhealthy ones that sink. Feed the fry baby brine shrimp or crushed flakes. Let the mother give birth in the tank, Normally they won't try and eat them because they fry will go into the plants and stay away from the adults. They first time my female platys gave birth, she had 11, 10 survived one of them died at about 6 months old because it got stuck in my filter. She was living with another female platy, 2 Glow light tetras and a few other fish. Also females won't give birth to many, but with my 10, I got 7 females and 3 males, so I had 9 females and 3 males, I ended up with 56 fry after that... So mainly I would get rid of the male fry and just keep theOriginall father. Don't get guppies though, a good sized female guppy can produce up to 60 fry, while a adult female platy 16 max!

Hope this helps!

Source(s): 11 years old and 7 years of fish keeping :D
  • Raven

You put the tank Temperature at the right temp for the Plates to breed.

That is the temp they need to be at. You probably didn't have it warm enough in there and then you add a heater and made it right for them. They are saying thank you in Fish.

And they will give you babies now. If you don't want babies I would take the male out.

• kuhle

you'll want greater concepts with tropical, or heat water fish. the only chilly water fish i will think of of incorporate goldfish and white cloud minnows, even with the undeniable fact that goldfish are not an determination in a ten gallon. With tropical fish you will desire a heater so the temperature maintains to be stable, that's why room temperature isn't a stable theory. you will get distinctive varieties of fish for the single tank, yet you will would desire to makes useful they are nicely matched. some it rather is rather useful to to look into are guppies, mollies, platies, bettas, corydoras catfish, tetras, rasboras, barbs, danios, otocinclus, and loaches. you ought to see what varieties of fish allure to you and ascertain which artwork terrific jointly and how many. My own determination is to have a male betta by means of fact the style of the focal factor of the tank. With them you could upload a small schoal of corydoras. Fish that are actually not brightly colored, have not got long fins, and are non aggressive is additionally with bettas.

No, it didn't make them crazy. It made them happier. I would turn it down a few degrees to around 75. But them being more active and trying to breed and having a healthy appetite is a very good thing. Platies are tropical fish that need heaters.

when the water gets cold for the tropical fish, they tend to slow down there activity and some will act like they are dying. 78-80F is a perfect temp for the tropical fishes, but i would try to keep it at 76-78F range. those fishes will breed easily and the warmer water will Develop the babies even faster and they will grow twice as faster than if they were in cold water.

the question is what are you going to do with all those babies?

Make sure you test your ammonia and nitrite levels as warmer water can make the toxic effects worse. Also, since warmer water holds less oxygen you'll need to do more frequent water changes. But the warm water will help the fish live longer if kept well.

The preferred temperature range for platies is 65-78, so they are probably a little warm. That increases their metabolism, and their demand for oxygen, but also reduces the amount of oxygen in the water. They will be more active, but it stresses them and will probably shorten their lives.

I would turn the temp down to about 75F and they will still be active, but happier.

Ian

Fish are cold blooded and if the water is too cold they will be less active.