S O
S O asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 10 years ago

Why do people who sit by the side of their pool, drinking cocktails and waiting for their dividend checks...?

to arrive... pay a lower tax rate than a person who works a real job?

And why do repub's support this?

Shouldn't that be changed? Or is that capitalism at it's finest, and any change that might make that taxable at the same rate (or higher) than actual "earned" income ... should be deemed to be.... socialism.

Best Answer

People who work should not be taxed at higher rates than people who don’t work. Income is income. The Republican thinking on this is based on favoritism for the elite rich. I can’t believe the answers defending this.

Without the worker there is no billionaire, without the billionaire there's no taxes. Without the chance to become ridiculously wealthy, then there's no america. These same people that hunger for so much money that they couldn't count it in 100 life times.... well it keeps them busy doing something instead of going after government power to get that same high. Well at least most of them. Iron worker does more "physical labor" if you talking about the blood sweat and tears thing. If your mad at the billionaire, fight your way to his position and take everything he has. It's the american way. Otherwise gotta suck it up.

• jehen

Well they do not pay a lower rate on dividend checks. That is taxed the same as any other income. Double taxed actually, because the Corporation paid taxes on the profits, then the shareholders pay taxes on the already taxed profits that are distributed to them. But that is the trade-off for the protections and rights of a limited liability corporation.

However, they do pay a much lower rate on gains realized by selling their investments. A low capital gains tax makes good sense because it spurs investment. But in this day and age it is too low.

It's never made sense. And every time a Republican is in office the rich get more tax breaks. I think it would be charitable to refer to it as" capitalism" - in my opinion it's closer to serfdom. I'm sure you've heard what the Lieutenant Governor of South Carolina, Andre Bauer said recently, about preventing the poor from reproducing by not feeding them, and I think that comment pretty well sums up the mindset of far too many Republicans.

Right wingers believe that those privileged from birth achieve success all on their own. They are against any form of inheritance tax as they are in denial of the fact that inheritance is the rich man's welfare system.

Well one, those dividends were already taxed.

Unlike corporate wages, which are paid, before the corporation pays tax's

Dividends are paid, after the corporate tax's are paid

So they have already been taxed.

You really think you should have to pay regular income tax's on the interest your 401K makes each year ?

Or on the interest your savings account makes each year ?

Who?

The Senate spent $2200 per day per person just for their hotel rooms to attend the "Global Warming Summit" and I didn't hear you complain about that party.

Get real. It the the Socialists that want to dominate the lives of your grandchildren you should be worrying about.

Just wait until you see how much your taxes go up next year.

An average of about $200 a month extra will be deducted from all our pay checks.

Obama is a liar when he says taxes won't go up for the middle class.

Obama is a fraud.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I hate swimming pools( Id rather be at a beach) I dont drink , and I work for a living! My taxes are probably higher then yours *L* I happen to be on my last week of a 2 week vacation because I worked hard and EARNED it... What are you doing ?

• Pfo

Capital gains taxes are lower because it encourages investment in business. Those investments create jobs that ideally make profits, which the investor gets a cut of. Raising the capital gains tax discourages investment, not a wise thing to do in a recession.

You may not like it, but you'd do it too if you could.

Actually they pay far more in taxes then you will ever see. Why do you not rail against Democrats like Pelosi(whos husband is a millionare) that contribute very little if anythign to charity? How about Bill gates and Buffet, both Obama supporters? WHy don't they give about 100 million each to charity? they can certianly afford it...

Stupid question