Best affordable pet insurance?

Looking for pet insurance for my 9 month old Miniature Pinscher. No health problems now just want to be prepared if somthing ever does happen. Just want accident and illness protection.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Glad you're looking while your dog is a baby! Puppies are mischievous and will eat just about anything, plus anything could happen in the next 10-15 years of its life.

I have Trupanion and they are great. It is an ongoing policy, so if your pet were to get cancer or something that lasted for longer than a year, it would still be covered every subsequent year. Some companies "renew" your policy every year so it would be considered preexisting the next year.

It also covers 90% of the bill and no annual or per incident limits. Plus they dont increase the rates due to pet aging which is a major plus!

Good luck with your shopping, and your new baby :)

• nutter
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Affordable Pet Insurance

• 1 decade ago

The best pet insurance for you is going to be a personal decision, based on your pet's breed and the

veterinary costs in your geographic location. But there are some key points that can help you with your research.

I. Make sure you make your decision based on the coverage the plan provides not the price. If you base your decision on price alone, you will end up with a policy that has poor coverage and you may not get reimbursed when the time comes.

To make a plan's premium more affordable, find a company with good medical coverage, then adjust the copay and/or deductible.

II. When doing your research, look for a plan that covers accidents/injuries AND illnesses. The illness part of the coverage must include the following 5 components.

1) Coverage for Cancer

2) Coverage for Chronic Disease

Chronic diseases are illnesses that have long duration and generally slow progression. Chronic diseases are usually not curable. Examples include: cancer, heart disease, chronic kidney disease, and chronic liver disease.

3) Continual Coverage for Chronic Disease

If you do not get this coverage, the chronic disease will only be covered in the policy year it was diagnosed, after that, you will have to pay for any continuing medications or diagnostic monitoring yourself. Treatment for most Chronic diseases will last beyond the first year of diagnosis.

4) Coverage for Hereditary & Congenital Diseases

5) Coverage for Diseases that are Common to your Pet's Breed

Health issues that Min Pins are prone to include (but are not limited to): Corneal dystrophy, Legg-Calvé-Perthes disease, Degenerative valve disease, and Progressive retinal atrophy...so components 4 and 5 are very important in your case.

III. Another important factor to consider is the maximum payout structure of the company.

The maximum payout limit is the maximum amount the insurance company will reimburse you. This payout limit can be annually, lifetime, for each incident or by body system. You want the maximum payout limit you pick to be able to cover the 'worst case scenario costs' for your geographic location.

Also, you want to make sure that there are no monetary limits on the 5 illness components discussed above. Some companies will put a limit on the amount of your maximum payout you can receive for chronic conditions, hereditary/congenital diseases, etc. These limits are usually not enough to cover most conditions.

IV. Lastly, not all pet insurance companies are created equal. Make sure you know the exclusions and requirements for each pet insurance company you are considering.

To help you with your continued research, check out the pet insurance guide and comparison sheets at http://www.pet-insurance-university.com/ I created this site to help my clients with their pet insurance research, maybe it will be of help to you as well.

Good Luck :-)

Source(s): 15 years as a veterinarian Many years researching pet insurance for my clients
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

I would recommend you to try this internet site where onel can compare rates from different companies: http://insurancecomparequotes.us/index.html?src=2Y...

RE :Best affordable pet insurance?

Looking for pet insurance for my 9 month old Miniature Pinscher. No health problems now just want to be prepared if somthing ever does happen. Just want accident and illness protection.

Follow

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I'd say just put your money in a jar or something...that way, *if* something happens, you'll have even more money than if you went with pet insurance....(a little bit of your money goes to paying them, not your bill)...and you don't have to worry about them "not excepting so and so's insurance.." - whereas in that situation you'd need to come up with the money, anyway.......

Start saving up! That's what I'm going to do :)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.