Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 decade ago

Why are there only white people in the lord of the rings movies?

Favorite Answer

The cast may be mostly white, but they portray many different races such as the hobbits, elves, etc. Your question is bogus, why not try watching the movies( books may be too hard of a read for u)

• Jonathan3 years agoReport

"in need of media representation" Not in LOTR, they're not. It's called being faithful to the source material. They're meant to be Anglo-Saxon, Celtic, Nordic and Teutonic mythology, all of which races/nationality are white. It's only white stories and characters that need diversity, right?

This would probably be a good place to start: http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Racism_in_Tolkien's... But essentially it's because of institutionalized racism and the view of white people as the default race. I'm sure the casting directors rationalize it by claiming that it's "historical accuracy" and therefore they can get away with claiming that there's only one skin color (you'll notice that sometimes when people try to draw parallels between Middle Earth and the real world, some people will say "THAT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE IT'S AN ALTERNATE WORLD NOT BASED ON EARTH AT ALL" but then as soon as someone says the series should have more diversity in it they cry historical accuracy).

With the exception, of course, of the villainous lackeys or "bad" races. In the books, the orks are described as being dark-skinned and there's also an entire race of people (mentioned in passing I believe) described as dark-skinned, slanty-eyed, cruel, and barbarous. But of course we can't have a single nonwhite person among ranks of the Good races of humans, hobbits, dwarves, and elves.

Tolkien might have been "a product of his time" but that doesn't make him any less racist. Racism is not comparative.

• Jonathan3 years agoReport

Rubbish. The both of you. The fact is LOTR universe is based on Anglo-Saxon, Celtic, Nordic and Teutonic mythology, all of which races/nationality are white. Hence the people of Middle Earth. The Shire, Gondor, Rohan, etc are white. Not all of the 'white' people of Middle Earth are good as well

I would guess that it's because Lord of the Rings is supposed to be the beginning of British history, Middle Earth turning in to Britain, that most people living in the UK at Tolkien's time and long ago in Britain were most likely white. It actually took a while before darker skinned people from Africa and such came to live in large groups in Britain and other places like it.

I can't say for sure but that would be my guess. Also that a lot of the actors were British in the movie (not that I'm saying black people can't be British just the majority aren't).

In the books they don't really overly describe the characters skin, I think it's only descriptive of the elves because their skin shines.

So I don't REALLY know but this is my opinion on the matter.

Source(s): My knowledge of Lord of the Rings and Britain ^.^

Do whites have to share their legends and myths as well as their history. For example in the real events of Spartacus, one of his right hand men was oenomaus, a Celt but for some reason he is played by an African. I'm a Celt but I'm also white, so my history is allowed to be played with and changed. Imagin if chaka zulu was played by a white guy. It would never happen...People are only going to put up with this double standard for so long. In the meantime start making a list of the perpetrators, for future reference...

• Jonathan3 years agoReport

Morgan, LOTR is meant to be Anglo-Saxon, Celtic, Nordic and Teutonic mythology, all of which races/nationality are white. Peter Jackson cast them as so to be faithful to the source material. He can do what he likes without your pathetic PC pandering to whiny, pasty leftists like you.

Lord of the Rings was derived heavily from Norse mythology. The Norse were all white.

• alex6 years agoReport

Anglo-Saxon mythology, but there both very smiler and descended from Germanic Celtic myths. Non whites only came to the British isles in the 1950s and I'm sure they have their own myths.

Sam, the writer of the book spent some of his childhood in South Africa, he was exposed to black people, he just did not see them as people who mattered. That is not to say Tolkien was racist, he was just of his time, as for Peter Jackson, I figure it is because a) Middle Earth is an expy of Western Europe and Britain and b) it would have been harder to sell with a multiracial cast.

• Jonathan3 years agoReport

No, LOTR Anglo-Saxon, Celtic, Nordic and Teutonic mythology, all of which races/nationality are white. What part of that can't you get? Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon was fantasy yet all the people in it were Asian, to MAKE ******* CONTEXTUAL SENSE. Why can't you accept that? It's not about.....

I'm not a LOTR expert, but it may be because that's how it was described in the book. Considering that the book is based on European history, maybe Tolkien based the factions on european cultures and races. That's just my guess though, you should defer to a true Tolkien historian.

• Jonathan3 years agoReport

Filling Middle Earth with POC and overwriting the white roles in itself would have been racist.

there WERE dark ppl , have any of u read the books or watched the movies...the ppl coming on boats to help sauron were described at dark skinned (most likely arab or moors or something) in the movie u see them at the black gate when frodo, sam, and gollum have to hide under the cloak. they come on oliphants and ships

• Jonathan3 years agoReport

Who gives a **** about your cultural Marxist ethnic representation and overwriting a classic story to suit Marxist constructs introduced to the West post WW2. Seriously, **** off Morgan. LOTR is NOT the place for "representation". It's Anglo-Saxon, Celtic, Nordic and Teutonic mythology = WHITE.

There aren t a great deal of the monsters are played by "others".... See? Even when something is totally made up, the message STILL gets in there!

• Jonathan3 years agoReport

Only because uppity POC and idiot arts school, left wing limp wrists read racism into everything.

Institutionalized racism exemplified by casting directors being afraid to cast people of color in lead roles not written specifically for people of color.

• Jonathan3 years agoReport

Of course, every story written by and for white people must be miscegnated, but do it the other way and its called "cultural appropriation". LOTR was not written about POC. It was about Anglo-Saxon, Celtic, Nordic and Teutonic mythology, all of which races/nationality are white.

Racism. The stories themselves are racist. Orcs are **** by birth and all of the good guys are white.

• Jonathan3 years agoReport

Ah Ed, you're a moron. It was based on white peoples myths and legends from centuries ago. Not everything has to be painted black to please PC knobs like you.

BTW, not all of the white people of Middle Earth were good. Now go back to your art class.