Does anyone other than me think that Home Access Centers and Parent Portals are utterly stupid?!?

For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, I'm talking about the online grade checkers where teachers upload all of our assignments.

It used to be that your parents saw your report card and either coughed up or beat you up. Now, with just one click of a button, they can see every single grade you've gotten on every single homework assignment, lab, test, or quiz! I mean, it's ridiculous. Despite the fact that I got an A in French, my mom beat me up yesterday for getting a B on the final, though my average was still a 95! My mom and dad check the stupid thing every single day, and I'm sick of spending an hour each day explaining why I got a point or two off on my homework or quizzes.

Can someone help me see why these tools are useful and maybe get me to like it a little better.

Favorite Answer

I'm sorry to hear your parents treat you badly. Do they really?

Well, it's good for parents who are fixated on controlling every action of their child. For the student itself, of course it's not good, it also takes away much of the trust between child and parent as it is a "state control" like relationship between parent and child.

Personally I think this is a very, very bad idea that takes much away of any personal responsability the children had.

Wait, they beat you up?

That's not right.

Call child protective services.