Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Somehow John Kerry earned 3 purple hearts in 3 months to get his discharge. Can someone explain his injuries?

He must have the recuperative powers of Wolverine to not even have a scratch now. So for 10 points, can anyone name at least 2 out of his 3 injuries?

Update:

John Kerry has of course refused to release his military records (similar to some other Democrats' concept of transparency), but there must be at least some leaked info on the subject?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Danny
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Purple Heart Number 1:

With its motor turned off, Kerry paddled the Boston Whaler out of the inlet into the beginning of the bay. Simultaneously the Vietnamese pulled their sampans up onto the beach and began to unload something; he couldn't tell what, so he decided to illuminate the proceedings with a flare. The entire sky seemed to explode into daylight. The men from the sampans bolted erect, stiff with shock for only an instant before they sprang for cover like a herd of panicked gazelles Kerry had once seen on TV's Wild Kingdom. "We opened fire," he went on. "The light from the flares started to fade, the air was full of explosions. My M-16 jammed, and as I bent down in the boat to grab another gun, a stinging piece of heat socked into my arm and just seemed to burn like hell. By this time one of the sailors had started the engine and we ran by the beach, strafing it. Then it was quiet.

The "stinging piece of heat" Kerry felt in his arm had been caused by a piece of shrapnel, a wound for which he was awarded a Purple Heart. The injury was not serious — Brinkley notes that Kerry went on a regular Swift boat patrol the next day with a bandage on his arm, and the Boston Globe quoted William Schachte, who oversaw the mission and went on to become a rear admiral, as recalling that "It was not a very serious wound at all." (The medic who treated him recalled that the "bandage" was a in fact a band-aid.)

Purple Heart Number 2:

Just as they moved out onto the Cua Lon, at a junction known for unfriendliness in the past, kaboom! PCF-94 had taken a rocket-propelled grenade round off the port side, fired at them from the far left bank. Kerry felt a piece of hot shrapnel bore into his left leg. With blood running down the deck, the Swift managed to make an otherwise uneventful exit into the Gulf of Thailand, where they rendezvoused with a Coast Guard cutter. The injury Kerry suffered in that action earned him his second Purple Heart.

Purple Heart Number 3 and Bronze Star:

Lieutenant (junior grade) Kerry was serving as an Officer-in-Charge of Inshore Patrol Craft 94, one of five boats conducting a Sealords operation in the Bay Hap River. While exiting the river, a mine detonated under another Inshore Patrol Craft and almost simultaneously, another mine detonated wounding Lieutenant (junior grade) Kerry in the right arm. In addition, all units began receiving small arms and automatic weapons fire from the river banks. When Lieutenant (junior grade) Kerry discovered he had a man overboard, he returned upriver to assist. The man in the water was receiving sniper fire from both banks. Lieutenant (junior grade) Kerry directed his gunners to provide suppressing fire, while from an exposed position on the bow, his arm bleeding and in pain and with disregard for his personal safety, he pulled the man aboard. Lieutenant (junior grade) Kerry then directed his boat to return to and assist the other damaged boat to safety. Lieutenant (junior grade) Kerry's calmness, professionalism and great personal courage under fire were in keeping with the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service.

This was the only injury that required time off duty for medical purposes.

He also was awarded a Silver Star between Purple Hearts 2 and 3. While all of his injuries appear to be less than a Purple Heart basis the criteria for award is any injury for which treatment is provided by a medic. So while the first wound (according the medic) could have been handled with some Hydrogen Peroxide and a bandaid the awards were all legitimate per regulation.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Was that before or after Cambodia,or before he (Kerry) was C.I.A..Now did he serve yes did he deserve the p/h not really.I 've never heard of self applying for a p/h(Kerry did). Did Kerry really get a film crew to reenact his battles,YES He did.How many other Presidential Candidates have a plaque in North Vietnam (Other than Kerry) Stop believing the Lie's.We all know who the sheeple is.. Hey do you believe that Lincoln freed the slaves just to have bigger army,I've heard that so it must be true!!!!(From a lefty) I'll be praying for you...

• 1 decade ago

I heard he made 3 twilight visits to the tent of a commanding officer whose sexually was in question after each one of the events laid out above me.

Ouch!

• Lilman
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

I heard he stubbed his toe, got a medal. Broke a fingernail putting on 1/st medal, got # 2 medal. Stuck his thumb putting on # 2 medal, got # 3 medal. Sent home to prevent getting shot by friendly fire.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Scott
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

I'd like to say something funny here about them all being minor flesh wounds but sadly that is the reality. Here are the facts:

John Kerry's Purple Hearts

Purple Heart Number One:

The Boston Globe - June 6, 2003 -- Kerry experienced his first intense combat action on Dec. 2, 1968, when he "semi-volunteered for, was semi-drafted" for a risky covert mission in which he essentially was supposed to "flush out" the enemy, using a little Boston Whaler named "Batman." A larger backup craft was called "Robin."

Unfortunately, Robin had engine trouble, and Batman's exit was delayed until the boats could depart in unison. The Batman crew encountered some Viet Cong, engaged in a firefight, and Kerry was slightly wounded on his arm, earning his first Purple Heart on his first day of serious action.

"It was not a very serious wound at all," recalled William Schachte, who oversaw the mission and went on to become a rear admiral.

Purple Heart Number Two:

The Boston Globe - June 6, 2003 -- On Feb. 20, 1969, Kerry earned his second Purple Heart after sustaining a shrapnel wound in his left thigh. According to a previously unreported Navy report on the battle, a two-boat patrol spotted three men on a riverbank who were wearing black pajamas and running and engaged them in a firefight. While not criticizing this engagement, the Navy report did challenge the decision of unnamed skippers to fire at other "targets of opportunity" in the area.

"Area seemed extremely prosperous and open to psyops action, minimum number of defensive and no offensive bunkers detected," the report said. The naval official who wrote the report concluded: "Future missions in this area should be oriented toward psyops rather than destruction."

The destruction included 40 sampans, 10 hut-style hootches, three bunkers, and 5,000 pounds of rice. The crews from two swift boats had expended more than 14,000 rounds of.50-caliber ammunition. No enemy casualties were reported.

Purple Heart Number Three

The Boston Globe June 6, 2003 --. . . On March 13, 1969, a mine detonated near Kerry's boat, wounding Kerry in the right arm, according to the citation written by [Navy Admiral Elmo "Bud"] Zumwalt. Guerrillas started firing on the boats from the shoreline. Kerry then realized that he had lost overboard a Green Beret who is identified only as "Rassman."

"The man was receiving sniper fire from both banks," according to Kerry's Bronze Star citation from that day. "Lt. Kerry directed his gunners to provide suppressing fire, while from an exposed position on the bow, his arm bleeding and in pain, with disregard for his personal safety, he pulled the man aboard. Lt. Kerry then directed his boat to return and assist the other damaged craft and towed the boat to safety. Lt. Kerry's calmness, professionalism and great personal courage under fire were in keeping with the highest traditions of the US Naval Service," Zumwalt's citation said.

Home Free:

The Boston Globe June 6, 2003 -- Kerry had been wounded three times and received three Purple Hearts. Asked about the severity of the wounds, Kerry said that one of them cost him about two days of service, and that the other two did not interrupt his duty. "Walking wounded," as Kerry put it. A shrapnel wound in his left arm gave Kerry pain for years. Kerry declined a request from the Globe to sign a waiver authorizing the release of military documents that are covered under the Privacy Act and that might shed more light on the extent of the treatment Kerry needed as a result of the wounds.

"There were an awful lot of Purple Hearts -- from shrapnel, some of those might have been M-40 grenades," said [George] Elliott, Kerry's commanding officer. "The Purple Hearts were coming down in boxes. Kerry, he had three Purple Hearts. None of them took him off duty. Not to belittle it, that was more the rule than the exception."

The Boston Globe - June 6, 2003 -- . . . The National Archives provided the Globe with a Navy "instruction" document that formed the basis for Kerry's request. The instruction, titled 1300.39, says that a Naval officer who requires hospitalization on two separate occasions, or who receives three wounds "regardless of the nature of the wounds," can ask a superior officer to request a reassignment. The instruction makes clear the reassignment is not automatic. It says that the reassignment "will be determined after consideration of his physical classification for duty and on an individual basis."

Because Kerry's wounds were not considered serious, his reassignment appears to have been made on an individual basis.

Moreover, the instruction makes clear that Kerry could have asked that any reassignment be waived.

The bottom line is that Kerry could have remained but he chose to seek an early transfer . . .

• all information has either been suppressed or disappeared. We signed his own application and the only witness stated it was a scratch not received in combat.

• Bill
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

One was a paper cut, another was a hang nail and the third was indigestion.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The first one was fake, the second was imagined, and the third was phoney.

• 1 decade ago

He seems like he sustained some type of brain injury.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I can not and I don't care.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.