How long to cook eggs for hard boiled eggs..?

This is a little embarrassing but I haven't hard boiled eggs in FOREVER! I want to boil 8 large sized eggs that are in the fridge. How long would I boil them for? Boil the water first or add cold water to the eggs then bring to a boil? Thanks everyone!

• Sergio
    Favorite Answer

This process never fails for me!!!

1) Put eggs in pot with water covering them.

2) When water boils rapidly, cover the pot and remove from the stove.

3) Wait 15 minutes and then remove eggs from pot. (I usually pour out the hot water and then fill the pot with cold so I do not get finger burned handling the eggs!!)

4) Eat!

Directions for Large Eggs:

1. Place eggs in a saucepan with enough COLD tap water to cover completely by 1 inch. Bring to a ROLLING boil over HIGH heat. Once the water is brought to a rolling boil, PROMPTLY reduce heat to a lower medium boil and cook an additional 10 minutes for a “hard boiled” egg. For a “soft boiled” egg reduce the time by a few minutes.

2. Remove from heat and IMMEDIATELY place eggs under ice cold water or in a bowl of ICED water to chill promptly to help yolks stay bright yellow. Chill for a few minutes in the cold water until the egg is completely cooled. This is an extremely important step which prevents the greenish “ring” from forming on the surface of the yolk over time. If the egg is not chilled immediately after cooking an unsightly dark greenish ring will eventually appear on the outside of the yolk.

I've never found you need to boil them as long as people are saying. If you cook too long they can go powdery.

Get the water boiling first, add the eggs and simmer gently for 8 minutes. Easy and tasty!

I just put the eggs in first and then fill up the pot with water and let them boil for about 15 minutes.After that,I dump out the hot water and add cold water and let them sit in the cold water for another 15 minutes,but I want them kind of chilled.

The bigger the eggs, the longer it takes. I always boil them for about ten minutes, after the water has started to boil. If they start to hatch, remove them from the water immediately.

• ?

Either way works but you will need to keep on a rolling boil for at least 10 minutes.

Plunge into cold water when done and peel ASAP.

Place eggs in large saucepan. Add enough cold water to cover. Bring to simmer over high heat. Reduce heat to low; simmer gently 5 minutes.

Remove from heat, cover, & let stand 10 minutes. Drain eggs; cover with ice & water & let stand until cold.

Peace.

fill the water level up until the eggs are mostly covered and let them boil until water level gets low