Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

What is your favorite gumbo recipe?

I'm looking to try new ways to add to my gumbo. I'm from Louisiana so it got to be good!

Favorite Answer

Duck and Sausage Gumbo with Brown and White Rice

For the gumbo:

two 5 1/2-pound ducks, excess fat discarded and ducks cut into serving pieces

2 pounds kielbasa (Polish smoked sausage), cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds)

12 cups chicken broth

6 cups water

1/3 cup all-purpose flour

2 onions, chopped

2 celery ribs, chopped

1 red bell pepper, chopped

1 green bell pepper, chopped

1 teaspoon cayenne, or to taste

2 cups thinly sliced scallion greens

For the rice:

1 1/2 cups long-grain brown rice

1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice

preparation

To prepare the gumbo:

Prick duck skin all over with tip of a knife. In a heavy skillet brown kielbasa and duck in batches over moderately high heat, transferring as browned to paper towels to drain. Combine kielbasa and duck with broth and water in a 6-gallon kettle and bring to a simmer.

Pour off all but 1/4 cup fat from skillet. Add flour and cook roux over moderately low heat, stirring constantly, until a shade darker than peanut butter, about 30 minutes. Add onions, celery, and bell peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add vegetable mixture to kettle and stir until roux is dissolved.

Simmer gumbo, uncovered, 2 hours and let cool completely. Bone duck, discarding skin and bones. Chill gumbo overnight. Gumbo may be made 2 days in advance and kept covered and chilled. Discard fat on surface and reheat gumbo with cayenne, scallions, and salt to taste over moderate heat.

To prepare the rice:

To a kettle of boiling salted water add brown rice, stirring, and boil 15 minutes. Drain rice in a large colander and rinse. Put colander over a kettle of boiling water and steam brown rice, covered with a kitchen towel and a lid, until fluffy and dry, about 25 minutes. Cook white rice in same manner, boiling 10 minutes and steaming 15 minutes. In a bowl toss brown and white rice together. Rice may be made 3 days in advance and kept chilled in resealable plastic bags. Steam rice to reheat.

Serve gumbo over rice.

If you are from Louisiana you probably know how to make a basic gumbo ( In Tiger country it's Gumbeaux ) already. I usually boil a dozen

eggs on the side and set them in ice water when they are done. Let sit for about five minutes then Crack and peel the cold ice water tends to allow you to peel the eggs a little easier with the exceptions of fresh eggs just purchased. That is why I buy a dozen eggs a week before I make gumbo. Add the eggs to the gumbo mixture to let the juices soak into the eggs.If you have not tried this before you have been missing out on some good eating. It kind of makes your tongue throw a party for your mouth.Use plenty of Chicken & sausage or shrimp & crab meat.

Source(s): From South Louisiana

Here are a bunch of Gumbo recipes that are easy to cook - http://www.gourmet-living.com/category.html?catego...

Wife's is my favorite. She stays traditional, no tomatoes, no okra. You might look at some Texas gumbo recipes and see if something catches your eye.

Hello there I always add in alot of SEAFOOD like SHRIMP AND CRAB SOMETIMES LOBSTER AND MUSSELS AT THE VERY END... REALLY GOOD