Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsRodents · 1 decade ago

my guinea pig keeps playing with her water bottle and the water leaks all over her cage! what should I do?

I need some suggestions. She wont leave it alone. Im tired of changing her bedding everyday. i tryed a glass dish of water and she tipped it right over. ugh! anyone else have this issue?

Favorite Answer

Sorry to say, pigs that play with their bottles rarely stop :-( I would suggest putting a small pan under the bottle and filling it with bedding. That way you can dump a small amount of bedding daily and the rest of the cage won't get soaked.

Source(s): 40+ years raising and showing guinea pigs

First i desire to show out that the water bottle feed tube is intense sufficient off the bedding so it does no longer get contaminated, yet low sufficient for the piggy to attain. the renowned water bottle has a stainless-steel tube with a steel ball interior, suited to a plastic bottle. None of those areas are precision made and thanks to this the bottle leaks. the different substantial reason is that it frequently receives crammed with water with a cooler temperature than the air interior the living house. while the air warms the bottle this is going to positioned stress on the bottle & water and stress it out the tube and there you have the drip. Now upload gravity to that no longer so precision ball and tube set and you get yet another clarification for the drip. answer? shop the cage clean weekly (small cage 2-3 days) with minimum a million-inch Aspen or Pine bedding. touch up daily! Fill water bottle daily to the remarkable. My sort: Hartz Mt./LM Farms. My setup: a million pig, 30"x18" cage, approximately 3 cup bottle.

I'd recommend trying a bowl also. I switched to a bowl with my guinea pigs because I couldn't stand the leaky water bottles. It has worked out really well. I make sure to give them fresh water twice a day and keep a towel underneath it because some times they knock a little out when they run around. But other than that I've not had any problems.

• Catkin

Our guinea pig does this sometimes, especially in warm weather. For awhile I was constantly dealing with soggy bedding & a wet piggie. I experimented with putting the bottle in different locations & he does this much less now. He's got toys & pretty consistent attention but there's just something about that water bottle.

I have this issue allot, if i fill the water bottle full, its gone in a few hours, the only thing i can do is change the cage often. You cant really do aynthing. You might be able to get a more expensive water bottle but it might help . :]

Source(s): experiance

Lot's of people have had that problem with their Guinea pigs. Just get some other hanging toys or put multiple favorite treats around the cage to distract it. I wish you the best of luck:)

Source(s): I have 2 guinea pigs(joey and bear).

I used to have a guinea pig to and had problems with that too. I would recommend putting something in his cage to chew on like a salt block.

• Carol

One of my girls tend to mess with her water bottle and i have to watch it to make sure she has not bent the end on the tip, she goes through a bottle about every 3 months. She get them to the point the leak so much i just have to replace them.

The best of luck to you.

Source(s): 30 years dedicated to caring for and loving guinea pigs

Sorry, I doubt your guinea pig will stop, you could try seeing if he/she can drink from a bowl.

Source(s): Owner of 2 guinea pigs.

get a spring loaded waterebottole