Manipulation in Ender's Game?

I need 3-5 examples of manipulation in the book Ender's Game. Any help?

Favorite Answer

Ender's Game is my favorite book ever.

Just off the top of my head, I'd say there's Graff's speech to the kids when they're going to Battle School, which pits all the other boys against Ender.

And then before that, Peter manipulated Ender and Valentine by making them afraid of him, and later manipulates just Valentine into becoming Demosthenes.

And then, of course, there's the fact that Graff did not intervene when it was obvious the conflict between Ender and Bonzo was getting serious.

They assign Ender his own army several years before anyone else has ever gotten theirs, and then they give him his first battle too soon after he becomes commander, and they give him 2 battles in one day and then make him battle against 2 other armies at once (by "they" here I mean Graff and Anderson).

Also they get Valentine to send a letter to Ender, and they bring him down to Earth before he goes to Command School so that Valentine can talk him into continuing.

And then later in Command School they push him to his limit and make him believe that he's playing games, and make him want to prove to Rackham that he can beat him (Rackham) in the "games" when they're actually simply using him to command actual fleets and destroy the buggers.

I'm not sure if all these qualify as manipulation, but it's really easy to find some examples or specific quotes from the book. After all Ender's Game is pretty much ABOUT how people can be so easily manipulated through appealing to what they love and what they want to prove. :) Hope this helps!