What should I do with the toyota recall?

I bought an 07 camry last month...it turns out they are being recalled because of an accelerator issue....so what should i do? i read there is no solution and to 'bring the car to the dealer if there's a problem'...but what does that really mean, should i wait until i notice a problem, or will that be too late?

Favorite Answer

Toyota Files Voluntary Safety Recall on Select Toyota Division Vehicles for Sticking Accelerator Pedal

• Lexus and Scion Models Not Affected

• Filing Addresses Isolated Customer Complaints

• Separate From On-Going Recall Involving Floor Mat Pedal Entrapment Issue

TORRANCE, Calif., January 21, 2010 -- Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc, today announced it would recall approximately 2.3 million vehicles to correct sticking accelerator pedals on specific Toyota Division models. This action is separate from the on-going recall of approximately 4.2 million Toyota and Lexus vehicles to reduce the risk of pedal entrapment by incorrect or out of place accessory floor mats. Approximately 1.7 million Toyota Division vehicles are subject to both separate recall actions.

“In recent months, Toyota has investigated isolated reports of sticking accelerator pedal mechanisms in certain vehicles without the presence of floor mats,” said TMS Group Vice President Irv Miller. “Our investigation indicates that there is a possibility that certain accelerator pedal mechanisms may, in rare instances, mechanically stick in a partially depressed position or return slowly to the idle position. Consistent with our commitment to the safety of our cars and our customers, we have initiated this voluntary recall action.

Toyota’s accelerator pedal recall is confined to the following Toyota Division vehicles:

• 2009-2010 RAV4,

• 2009-2010 Corolla,

• 2009-2010 Matrix,

• 2005-2010 Avalon,

• 2007-2010 Camry,

• 2010 Highlander,

• 2007-2010 Tundra,

• 2008-2010 Sequoia

Frequently Asked Questions for the Sticking Accelerator Pedal Recall

Q - What is the condition that has prompted Toyota to take this action?

A - In rare instances, there is a possibility that certain accelerator pedal mechanisms may, mechanically stick in a partially depressed position or return slowly to the idle position.

Q - What is the likelihood that my vehicle will experience this condition?

A - The incidence of this condition is rare and occurs gradually over a period time. It can occur when the pedal mechanism becomes worn and, in certain conditions, the accelerator pedal may become harder to depress, slower to return or, in the worst case, stuck in a partially depressed position.

Q - What should I do if I believe my vehicle is affected by this condition?, i.e. I have noticed that my accelerator pedal is hard to depress, slow to return or is unsmooth during operation.

A - The vehicle should be driven to the nearest safe location, the engine shut off and a Toyota dealer contacted for assistance.

Q - What if you experience a sticking accelerator pedal while driving?

• Each circumstance may vary, and drivers must use their best judgment, but Toyota recommends taking one of following actions:

• If you need to stop immediately, the vehicle can be controlled by stepping on the brake pedal with both feet using firm and steady pressure. Do not pump the brake pedal as it will deplete the vacuum utilized for the power brake assist.

• Shift the transmission gear selector to the Neutral (N) position and use the brakes to make a controlled stop at the side of the road and turn off the engine.

• If unable to put the vehicle in Neutral, turn the engine OFF. This will not cause loss of steering or braking control, but the power assist to these systems will be lost.

o If the vehicle is equipped with an Engine Start/Stop button, firmly and steadily push the button for at least three seconds to turn off the engine. Do NOT tap the Engine Start/Stop button.

o If the vehicle is equipped with a conventional key-ignition, turn the ignition key to the ACC position to turn off the engine. Do NOT remove the key from the ignition as this will lock the steering wheel.

Q - f I am an owner of one of the affected vehicles, what action do I need to take?

A - Toyota is working quickly to prepare a correction remedy and will issue owner notifications in the future. No action is required at this time unless you feel you are experiencing this condition. If you are experiencing this condition, immediately contact your nearest Toyota Dealer for assistance.

Q - What should I do if I still have questions or concerns?

A - If you still have questions or concerns that have not been addressed here, please contact the Toyota Customer Experience Center at 1-800-331-4331.

The Toyota Customer Experience Center hours are:

Mon - Fri, 5:00 am - 6:00 pm PST

Sat, 7:00 am - 4:00 pm PST

Source(s): Toyota USA Website and Google search.

If you haven't had your vehicle to a Toyota dealer for a while, they will want to complete any recalls issued for the vehicle. Dealers are different as some are good and others not so good. I drive 35 miles to have our trucks serviced when there is a dealer 3 miles away from my house.

the accelerator pedal gets stuck on the floor mat. If this ever happens, put the car in neutral and gently slow to a stop on the right hand shoulder. Turn off the motor and pull the pedal up. At this point, you take it to the dealer.

This issue is enough to send everyone off the roads as an out of control rogue vehicle can cause mass pileups especially in the winter on slippery roads. Take it to the dealership and have them check your accelerator. The one made by CTS in Indiana is the defective one. The other is a Japanese made accelerator which is okay. It has nothing to do with it getting stuck in the floor mat so don't let them sell you new floor mats.

The accelerator pedal gets stuck on the floor mat. If this ever happens, turn the key to the OFF position, not LOCK, you will lose all your power steering and brakes, and gently slow to a stop on the right hand shoulder. . At this point, you take it to the dealer. Did you happen to read the newspaper article about it?

• XTX

the problem is that the gas pedal will stick to the """full speed ahead""" position and you should go to the dealer and maybe call ahead and check to see if they will take you to work and then return for pick-up ( at your arranged time ) ---- this is not a delay tactic/game === Toyota wants to correct this ""PROBLEM"" to save your life your and save you from being in an accident whereby other persons could be hurt or killed ...... GO TODAY .... not even the best of us can predict an accident... and there is a solution to fix the sticking accelerator pedal ..... where you read that there is no solution was false information .... get it fixed .... please....

You have an 07 Camry...hmmm, let me count the model years....2007, 2008, 2009, 2010...and Toyota is just NOW doing something about this?? It is rumored they knew it all along but denied the issue as Toyota is always known to do. Thanks for your 07 recall reminder, and let me tell you, I will NEVER buy a Toyota...WoW!!

don't wait until there's a problem.

just call the dealer they might have a waiting list or they'll tell you to take it to them immediately. Don't wait, they'll fix it for FREE!

stop worrying and go to the dealer already