Windows update taking way to long..?

Ok, so I gave my Toshiba Satellite/Vista a good old clean with the recovery disc. No problem. I set up the whole system again. Then windows asked to install 97 important updates and 5 optional.

It completed 27 of 97 updates when it decided to stop, so I left it over night but nothing changed come morning. I restarted but the updates still seem to be hanging. I think its the Network Service Pack (which iv read can take very long).

I just wanted to know are these updates essential ''all 97 of them''. Surely it shouldnt take so long for the updates. I hope theres sumone who knows what im babbling on about ;).. Any help appreciated.

Im guessing im just gonna have to leave windows to update to keep my system in tact..

• ?

Are these updates before or after SP1? If you haven't installed the first service pack, you can download the standalone version of the service pack and you won't have to worry about it hanging because it will all be on your laptop when you do the install. That way, if it "hangs" you know you can just leave it.

• Ian S

Go to windows update website, downlo9ad and install SP3 only although it wont work unless you are using Explorer as your browser.

Once you're onto SP3 its a lot smoother and less bugsy than earlier service packs.

http://update.microsoft.com/

Not all the updates are essential.

It may be a gimmick too.

They're pretty much useless and VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY ANNOYING but if you turn off wike installing SOMETHING VERY BAD *might* (won't) happen.