Windows update taking way to long..?

Ok, so I gave my Toshiba Satellite/Vista a good old clean with the recovery disc. No problem. I set up the whole system again. Then windows asked to install 97 important updates and 5 optional. It completed 27 of 97 updates when it decided to stop, so I left it over night but nothing changed come morning. I... show more Ok, so I gave my Toshiba Satellite/Vista a good old clean with the recovery disc. No problem. I set up the whole system again. Then windows asked to install 97 important updates and 5 optional.
It completed 27 of 97 updates when it decided to stop, so I left it over night but nothing changed come morning. I restarted but the updates still seem to be hanging. I think its the Network Service Pack (which iv read can take very long).

I just wanted to know are these updates essential ''all 97 of them''. Surely it shouldnt take so long for the updates. I hope theres sumone who knows what im babbling on about ;).. Any help appreciated.

Im guessing im just gonna have to leave windows to update to keep my system in tact..