AceSpinner asked in SportsCycling · 1 decade ago

Fixed Gear or Mountain Bike?

I currently ride a XC mountain bike in the city. I'm thinking of changing to a 700c fixed gear bike, but will this handle curb drop offs / riding up and down steps ect. I know it won't be as cushioned as the MTB on this terrain but am more concerned if it will break the bike. It's only for the above, not big air stunting.

Favorite Answer

The fixed gear bike will be much faster and lighter than the mountain bike.

Bear in mind that bunny hops are difficult on a fixed gear (although not impossible) as the pedals are constantly on the move. A good fixed bike can be as comfortable (on road) as a mountain bike.

Steps can be difficult, again due to the fact that the pedals keep moving. The wheels will probably not be as resilient as mountain bike wheels.

Go for a good compromise and get a bike with a flip flop hub. This is a wheel that has a hub that allows a fixed gear on one side and a single speed freewheel on the other. Just turn the wheel around and you have two bikes in one.

Should you go with another choice, The Edinburgh Bicycle Company are selling a 26 inch mountain bike styled road fixed/single speed bike in their winter sale.

Source(s): Fixed wheel/single speed rider.

A 700C may be more fragile but it'll be much more expensive to change to that than convert the current mountain bike to a Single Speed setup; lose the derailleurs and buy a kit for £15 or so; spend the money you've saved on some slicks.

Fixed gear bikes are idiotic... I realize they're super trendy right now and everyone that's "cool" has to have one but they're retarded... Unless you want to damage your knees just get a road bike. Check out the Stop Cycles Proletariat. Super nice bike for city riding like you've mentioned above.

yellowbelly makes a good suggestion with the flip-flop hub also but again, I just dont see the point in a fixed hub unless you like damaging you knees or putting yourself in uncomfortable situations that will likely lead to a crash.

don't think it should break the bike, depending on your weight of course. I would suggest fat tires, they will absorb some of the shock.