FAIR HOUSING ACT: If I discriminate, what is worst that can happen? Get sued? Get fined? What penalties?

We are considering renting a room in our home. We have two young daughters. We don't want to rent to men. I hear it's illegal to state a preference in our housing ad on Craigslist or elsewhere. What are the penalties? Can you get thrown in jail? ;) Have there been any real cases brought... show more We are considering renting a room in our home. We have two young daughters. We don't want to rent to men.

I hear it's illegal to state a preference in our housing ad on Craigslist or elsewhere.

What are the penalties? Can you get thrown in jail? ;)

Have there been any real cases brought against home owners for not wanting to rent to certain people? (I can imagine cases against companies.) Does someone have to get "ticked off" enough to complain to the federal government? With our country falling apart are the "feds" really going to allocate resources to punish me because I won't rent to a man to protect our daughters???

Ideally we'd like a non-smoking female college student but don't know how to word the ad to not get in trouble!