Can rotational kinetic energy from magnets create enough power to run a car?

Update:

an electric car

Update 2:

Well, I have prettymuch no background in physics and I dont know a thing about it. But I am helping someone out and they asked me

If a rotating magnet and a regular magnet are put in an electric car, would the energy created by the magnets be enough to use instead of a battery?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, although your question doesn't state whether the magnets have to be in the vehicle itself or not.

1) Magnets are in the car. In this case, it would be much more efficient to use a well-designed flywheel, rather than taking the spinning magnets' energy, converting it into electricity via a dynamo, then converting it back into mechanical energy via a motor. Flywheels have to be specially designed to not explode when they're spun fast enough to power a vehicle for any length of time, and it would be much harder with magnets.

2) Magnets elsewhere. After all, much of the electricity produced in the world is via steam or hydroelectric power. Both of these spin magnets in coils (or, more likely, coils around magnets) and the resulting electricity gets shuttled to your house via electrical lines. There is CERTAINLY enough power there to run a car.

===== Edit =====

Ah. The rotating magnets would add a LITTLE energy to the situation, but very, very little. Certainly not enough to drive the car one mile on very level pavement. So there's little advantage (and lots of disadvantage, like moving parts to break) to having more things rotating.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Why should magnets store rotational kinetic energy ? You have to put it from somewhere.

Now if you are talking about magnets moved by changing magnetic fields, you are probably reinventing the electric engine..

Could you state the question more clearly ?

• Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.