Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareOther - Hardware · 1 decade ago

Why am I losing disk space on my Local Disk C Drive?

HELP PLEASE!!! I am losing madd disk space on my dell (this computer im using now) I have no idea what to do I have like 20 MB left!!!! Please leave me a step by step process on what to do please! THANX

im losing all this disk space for no apparent reason i havent downloaded anything ands its still losing space.

Guys I tried my antivirus (kaspersky) it doesnt work I've tried add/removing things its just.....When ever I get space I lose it within a day its NUTS

CCleaner helps but I lose it like 10 minutes after. System restore doesnt work cause I tried it and i kept losing space. Antivirus did'nt work. HELP!!!

Favorite Answer

NEVER turn off system restore or disable your firewall if you may have a virus. it pretty much will make it so your computer is taken over and won't start.

go to www.superantispyware.com and download the free edition. i've been using it for years and it catches everything, even things that norton, mcafee, kaspersky, and most of the "major" virus protection misses.

Also i'm surprised nobody has asked how large a hard drive you have. 150 GB? 250?

Turn off you computer and boot it into safe mode (usually hit F8 or F9 right when you turn on your computer) choose "Safe mode with networking" and run the anti virus software/ empty recycle bin etc.

if no viruses are found schedule a disk check on your hard drive. if you're running windows, got to my computer, right clight c:, click properties, go to tools and select error checking. be sure u click all the options and click ok. you'll have to restart to do the check. once you restart your computer, it should automatically run through it. be patient it takes awhile.

If you're still having a problem, let me know and i'll try to help anyway i can.

Source(s): been a computer geek for 15 years, been working and fixing problems for the past 6 years.
    • jadpouliot5 years agoReport

Superantispyware worked for now. I did get back the missing GB. Will come back for comments later on if the treatment was not permanent.
      Thank you so much
      JAD

I believe one of the problems is system restore taking up too much space. So to get rid of your old system restore files, right-click the C: Drive and select properties. Then select disk cleanup in the new windows. And Finally click more options at the top revealing the cleanup shadow copies button at the bottom. This will remove all nut your most recent restore point. You can also do the disk cleanup on the previous option too to free up some space. When that's done, you should have freed up a lot of space. If not, try removing some programs in Control Panel > Uninstall a Program.

As a side note, check out the site below. It will show you how to change the amount of space system restore can use so it does not take up all of your hard drive space. IF that is your problem of course. Good Luck!

Be very careful what you progression or delete as in case you wipe out equipment archives your gadget will supply up working. Why no longer purchase a clean extra suitable force? you may clone the entire contents of your modern force to the hot one. in case you have a spare bay you may keep your old force too. a million or 2Tb drives are no longer person-friendly to top off and are particularly priced. See hyperlink for loose cloning application.

• ?

Go to add remove programs and uninstall every program that you do not use or need , delete all temporary files and defrag your drive when your done , barring that buy another drive and install it

Are you downloading a bunch of files? Clean up your temp folders using a program line CCleaner or WiseDiskCleaner. Before/after go to the command prompt (start -> run -> enter "cmd"

then enter the following lines with Ted replaced by your username. Note that some disk cleaners fail to delete these files, so they build up over time.

del "C:\Documents and Settings\Ted\My Documents\Downloads\*.*" /F /Q /S

del "C:\Documents and Settings\Ted\My Documents\My Completed Downloads\*.*" /F /Q /S

del "C:\Documents and Settings\Ted\My Documents\My Received Files\*.*" /F /Q /S

del "C:\Windows\Temp\*.tmp" /F /Q /S

• Arie

Download and install CCleaner, which is free of charge, to clean your computer of temporary files.

• krista

Good point, but I am not 100% sure

simply turn off system restore option from my computer properties.

I doubt this is feasible

• Tony

update and run your anti-virus program