is the haiti earthquake more proof god does not exist?

why would a loving god do this? i can't think of a single reason why some one would do this?

some christians say he didn't, but isn't it funny when a single person dies it's god's will but when it's mass death god isn't responsible.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Best Answer

Why does God allow earthquakes, tornados, hurricanes, tsunamis, typhoons, cyclones, mudslides, and other natural disasters? Tragedies such as the 2004 tsunami in Asia, Hurricane Katrina in 2005, the 2008 cyclone in Myanmar, and the 2010 earthquake in Haiti cause many people to question God’s goodness. It is distressing that natural disasters are often termed “acts of God” while no “credit” is given to God for years, decades, or even centuries of peaceful weather. God created the whole universe and the laws of nature (Genesis 1:1). Most natural disasters are a result of these laws at work. Hurricanes, typhoons, and tornados are the results of divergent weather patterns colliding. Earthquakes are the result of the earth’s plate structure shifting. A tsunami is caused by an underwater earthquake.

The Bible proclaims that Jesus Christ holds all of nature together (Colossians 1:16-17). Could God prevent natural disasters? Absolutely! Does God sometimes influence the weather? Yes, as we see in Deuteronomy 11:17 and James 5:17. Numbers 16:30-34 shows us that God sometimes causes natural disasters as a judgment against sin. The book of Revelation describes many events which could definitely be described as natural disasters (Revelation chapters 6, 8, and 16). Is every natural disaster a punishment from God? Absolutely not.

In much the same way that God allows evil people to commit evil acts, God allows the earth to reflect the consequences sin has had on creation. Romans 8:19-21 tells us, “The creation waits in eager expectation for the sons of God to be revealed. For the creation was subjected to frustration, not by its own choice, but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the glorious freedom of the children of God.” The fall of humanity into sin had effects on everything, including the world we inhabit. Everything in creation is subject to “frustration” and “decay.” Sin is the ultimate cause of natural disasters just as it is the cause of death, disease, and suffering.

We can understand why natural disasters occur. What we do not understand is why God allows them to occur. Why did God allow the tsunami to kill over 225,000 people in Asia? Why did God allow Hurricane Katrina to destroy the homes of thousands of people? For one thing, such events shake our confidence in this life and force us to think about eternity. Churches are usually filled after disasters as people realize how tenuous their lives really are and how life can be taken away in an instant. What we do know is this: God is good! Many amazing miracles occurred during the course of natural disasters that prevented even greater loss of life. Natural disasters cause millions of people to reevaluate their priorities in life. Hundreds of millions of dollars in aid is sent to help the people who are suffering. Christian ministries have the opportunity to help, minister, counsel, pray, and lead people to saving faith in Christ! God can, and does, bring great good out of terrible tragedies (Romans 8:28).

Source(s): The Lightning Strikes
  • 10 years ago

I don't really think religion should be brought into the topic of the Haiti earthquake. It is a known fact that Haiti lies right on top of a fault in the Earth, hence it was a disaster waiting to happen. If you want to bring the topic of God into the subject, then by all means, do so. After all, it's your question. But really, the question of religion is highly opinionated. It shouldn't be the main thing.

So in answer to your question, no, I don't think that the Haiti earthquake is a sign that God doesn't exist, simply because these things always happen, disasters happen all across the globe, and as much as I feel sory for the people who died in the earthquake, bringing God into the subject is not going to solve anything.

Source(s): Common knowledge.
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

in my opinion i have to say god most certainly does exist, its a matter of thinking logically, if you say god doesn't exist, then what caused the earthquake?

the earth you say? if you say the earth caused the earth quake; then who created the earth?

when you have the big bang theory for example then who created all that you believe in? how was the first man on earth born?

i have to see god does exist, where do morals of right and wrong come, please answer, when you die what happens to you? do humans continue reproducing? No my friend, this life is coming to an end, the signs of 'qiyaamat'-(day of resurection) is coming near.

signs are of such.....

(1) more earthquakes

(2) the need of oil

(3) poverty

(4) unknowledgable people will become leaders.....

ect etc

this si all meant to happen, we just neeed to play our part!

as for the question how does a loving god do this......?

very good question.

think in an understandable way, why does a mother test her child or say no for an unconcidrable desire? does the mother hate the child? NO! she wants to test it, but throughout the test she loves the child equally, it's how the child grows up!

in the same way, we as servents of god have been tested. and are getting tested in this case, will we give charity?

i read on a documentary, that if 90% of the rich people in USA gave atleast 10% of money to charity, poverty would be beaten and we wouldn't have had to see people in these states, if no tests then how would god know about us?

he wants to see who do the haitians turn to for help? if they keep faith in god through these troubles god WILL help them, god tests the ones he loves, he shal reward them with the best in the hereafter!!!

people who live easy lives, won't have it so easy in teh hereafter.

and one more thing, a young baby that dies, leaves the world as a pure soul and so shall enter paradise straight away!

god isn't mean, he's RIGHT great in every way! And who are we to question his actions?

we should help them out!

• 10 years ago

Isaiah 55:8 says: For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD.

Does God exist? YES! If he does, is His intention to draw us, his creation, close to Him. YES. He has done that by sending His son Jesus to die for us, so we can know truth and be free.

If GOD exists, could He have kept this earthquake from happening. YES! After all, He created all things. However, He also created a world with natural laws and free will. If you jump off a building, gravity will cause you to fall and die. If you are negligent when crossing the street, a car might hit and kill you. If you live in a place by a river that floods often, you will be at risk. If you live near subduction zones, or near a fault, earthquakes are likely to happen and kill you. God is not a vending machine, he will not rescue you to make you live forever. it is not about us, it's about Him, our repentance and our relationship with him.

Nowhere in the Bible it says that if you believe, your life on earth will be perfect. God will not grant you every wish simply because you ask. God doesn't promise a life without tears, but He does promise to wipe our tears away... and He does that everyday!

So, if natural laws are a fact, why does God allow many to perish? Back to my initial Bible quote:

That's God's ways and we will never fully understand them. Try to explain a 3 yr old why he is on time out. Try to explain to a 5yr old that the spinach in his plate is good for him. Try to explain to a 14yr old that the relationship they are in is destructive and that they should concentrate on schoolwork instead. They'll never get it. Similarly, we are not capable of fully understanding God and His ways. We just have to humble ourselves and trust Him. Will you put your trust in Him today?!

Source(s): The Holy Bible
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

Jesus spoke clearly about these things coming to pass

It all goes back to the fall of mankind, which had an affect on the creation itself

If you find contradictions and inconsistences in what Christians say regarding God's will, i'm sure you could easily pick up a bible and check things out for yourself....its the best way to make sure

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

how can it be PROOF that god does not exist! you can never proove that god doesn't exist, similar to the fact that you can't proove he does. you can put up a strong argument but not actually proove it. I personally believe that there is proof that god exists, scientifically and things I have experienced myself. I am not a Christian so therefore I do not believe in Jesus, but I still believe in god. try researching proof that god does exist and it is much more convincing than little arguments made trying to prove that god doesn't exist. All these natural disasters occur. just because they happen, it does not mean that god definetly does not exist! in the end it is down to you and what you truly believe in, not what others think. one day you will know which path you want to follow. hope I've helped :)

• billy
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

i think of this adventure will reason some dissonance in many believers in Haiti. they might sense forsaken or punished and for this reason start to question or doubt. in spite of the undeniable fact that, they might finally discover techniques of rationalizing the adventure so as that it suits with their god schemas. issues that are undesirable and stable are the two attributed to god; such are god's characteristics: previous understanding. the skill of perception is to be reckoned with. suitable now, Haitians want their god. they want each and all the convenience they might get, textile and immaterial. I won't dare deny them of it. suitable now, being compassionate is extra important than being atheist.

• 10 years ago

God does exist. Jesus restored a blind man's sight for the glory of God. God was and is with those people in the times of trouble. There is scientific reasons for the quake. it is for the glory of God. Be merciful on those people.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Only that a loving, personal god most likely doesn't exist.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Even if we give you a satisfactory answer you'd still deny God anyway so what's the point?

And this question's been asked 3 times already.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.