CeCe asked in HealthOther - Health · 1 decade ago

I have random shakes. What does it mean?

So I have had issues since about 6th grade with my arms twitching. Not just like random one twitch spasms but like I was having full-on tremors. I'm not sure if it's classified as a tremor or not. More recently, my legs have started doing the same thing. I freaked myself out one day by thinking I had Parkinson's Disease. I surely hope I don't. The thing about it is that it's not totally random. It's if my arms or legs are idle for any amount of time they start to shake, especially my hands. My hands shake sometimes even when I am using them. Like if I am eating dinner and holding my fork up, my hand will shake. I'm very concerned and I don't know what to do. Help?

Oh, I forgot to mention I'm a freshman in college now. It's been about 7 years since I started having problems.

• Mags
    Favorite Answer

Well, I'm not sure that we can give you much good news except to say that you probably don't have PD. Although you are exhibiting a resting tremor, it appears to be bilateral which is not typical of the onset of PD.. Moreover, your tremor is also an action or intention tremor, also not common in early Parkinson's disease.

If you have been manifesting symptoms for 7 years, it is more likely that you could have an Essential Tremor as has already been suggested. While there are some Juvenile Parkinson's patients, not many people develop PD between 2 and 20 years of age. ET is not uncommon in younger people in their teens. As you will read, you may be symptomatic for a few years and then find that the symptoms stop only to reappear years later.

One of the best places to read about movement disorders is WeMove.org. You can pick other conditions in the left margin for further reading. I suggest that you begin with the ET section:

http://www.wemove.org/et/et.html

Your symptoms should ot be taken lightly as you should have a proper diagnosis. Most motion disorders diagnoses are done by a neurologist specializing in that field. Please ask you primary care or family doctor for a referral.

With the help of some of the older family members, you might want to take a look at family medical history. Often ET will run in a family. Information like this can be of value for you throughout your life and specific information may assist in your diagnosis.

Please understand that there are other conditions which can also cause tremors. You could have a spinal cord injury or herniated disk. I realize that if you did you would probably have mentioned pain as a symptom as well, but it is still possible.

Because you might have other symptoms which you did not relate to the tremors, here is a link to a symptom checker at Wrong Diagnosis. You can make it mix and match beginning with the tremors:

http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/sym/tremor_symptoms....

One of the things you will see is that caffeine (in several beverages besides coffee) or sugar (in tons of foods or pseudo foods) can cause tremor. As can stress (the way you handle it) and anxiety. Anger, excitement, lack of sleep, lack of fluids, diet can all be contributors.

http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/symptoms/tremor_symp...

Have you been on any medications for a prolonged period of time? There are times when tremor can develop as a side effect or a drug interaction.

You doctors will want to rule out kidney disease, seizure disorders, MS and several other conditions.

The most important thing it to have a real diagnosis. So get that appointment and take a family medical history plus a list of symptoms (what they are, when they occur, what you were doing prior to their onset) you medications (including over-the-counter drugs and nutritional supplements) so that the doctor will be able to spend more time examining you than taking a history.

Best Wishes.

Tourette's syndrome.

• siva

From the age among one million and a couple of the boy and women begin checking others gender materials in cUriosity. It is normal. As in step with scientists, from the youth each character having intercourse emotions. so, for ur query a boy begin assess the frame of a lady from the age among one million and a couple of yr. It is normal expensive. Otherwise the arena wont development.

It could be Essential Tremor. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essential_tremor