Nawab
Lv 4
Nawab asked in Society & CultureHolidaysRamadan · 1 decade ago

As Muslims do you believe in horoscopes?

Why/ why not?

24 Answers

Relevance
  • Musab
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Two things are possible when it comes to soothsayers and horoscope…

Either the person says

#1 I am just watching these things for time pass – I do not believe but I just watch …

Or he says

#2 I believe ... May be? Let’s try .May be he might be right?… It’s worth a shot …

_____

The Result-

#1 - Whoever Listens to such things like fortune telling and horoscope etc (Without believing in them, Just for time pass) – HIS PRAYERS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED FOR 40 DAYS …

#2 – But to believe what one hears about his fortune told by such soothsayers then HE NULLIFIED HIS FAITH AND HAS DISBELIEVED … HE IS NO MORE A MUSLIM.

PROOF ?

#1 Prophet (S) said

“Whoever goes to a Diviner (Fortune-teller) AND ASKS HIM about anything (In today’s world, whoever reads the horoscope also is included in this), his prayers will not be accepted for forty nights.”

[Sahih Muslim]

#2 Hadith

Prophet (S) also said

“Whoever goes to a soothsayer or a diviner AND BELIEVES HIM in what he says, has indeed disbelieved in what was revealed upon Muhammad.”

[Musnad Ahmad and others]

(Brackets are my words)

Notice the difference in both the hadith –

First one says (asks him)

Second says (believes him)

So just going in those things for curiosity regularly would nullify your prayers for 40 days

And going and believing those things will NULLIFY your faith for life-time … Unless you repent …

Source(s): Muslim and Musnad Ahmad ... Both the hadith mentioned are 100 % authentic ...
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

No.

I understand that there are some truth in certain horoscopes. There is magic in this world. But as Muslims, we should never pursue it. Why? Because when you seek such things, you are not putting your faith in Allah but putting your faith in some person who is reading your hand/stars/whatever. Also, the works of magic, especially when it's based on fortune-telling, require some help from the 'devil' or shaitan. This is always bad.

Bottomline, why believe in horoscopes when you have a gentle hand guiding you through life? You don't need horoscopes, we've got a much better deal than that.

• Amy
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

I used to work with a lot of Muslims from East Africa. We read our horoscopes together but I think they thought about them just like me (a non muslim) Just for fun, not serious like Nancy Reagon or anything!!

• 1 decade ago

No.

Proof:

The Prophet Muhammad (Peace be Upon him) said: "The prayer of one who goes to a soothsayer, asks him something and believes in what he says, will not be accepted for 40 days"

What does that mean? It means if you believe in what people are saying about your future, Allah won't accept your prayer for 40 days!

BUT...There's no problem with a harmless glance at the horoscopes once in a while as long as you don't believe in them.

Salaam!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • They always sound believable but they're not.

They just come up with things that happen to people everyday..like today you're going to meet a person from this star sign and then they'll go on to say you'll find love in that person (or whatever they say) it's just really obvious...and even i could do that and earn a fortune.

How do a couple of stars hold (see) your future .

• 1 decade ago

Allah's advice shows existence of Astrology

We Muslims know and do believe that Allah knows the laws of the universe best as he himself created everything and he knows that none can work against the rule of nature - and for this reason Allah told to do seven types of things in seven days. Our prophet Muhammad (SAW) t

• Oh I love reading that stuff >.<

I admit it...I know that most of it is fake but the basics are pretty much true! I read a small book about my sign and damn...too true sometimes!

And reading that stuff is amusing too =)

• 1 decade ago

Absolutely not! Sheer nonsense!

==

==

==

Name of Questioner

Muhannad

Title

Astrology: Nothing but Illusions

Question

Nowadays some satellite channels receive astrologists as guests. The viewers call them and give them information about themselves, such as their birth dates, so that the astrologists, using computers, predict the future events that may occur to them. What is the viewpoint of Islam on astrology?

Date

14/Dec/2003

Topic

Muslim Belief

Answer

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear questioner, we would like to thank you for the great confidence you place in us, and we implore Allah Almighty to help us serve His cause and render our work for His Sake.

There are two related terms that are often confused with one another, astronomy and astrology. Astronomy refers to the science that is concerned with the observation of the motions of heavenly bodies and reducing these observations to mathematical order, while astrology refers to the study of the supposed effects the movements of these celestial bodies have on human affairs.

According to jurists, it is lawful to study astronomy, for it is useful in predicting the beginning of months and seasons, determining the direction of Prayer, and navigating. They agree that this branch of science be used in determining the beginning and end of the month of Ramadan.

As for astrology, this is haram (unlawful) and nothing but lies. The Unseen is known only by Almighty Allah.

Responding to the question, Dr. Husam al-Din Ibn Musa `Afana, a Professor of the Principles of Fiqh at Al-Quds University, Palestine, states the following:

“First of all, it is worth noting that the Arabs knew astronomy a long time ago. They would predict time through observing the movements of stars.

According to the scholars of Shar`iah, there are two terms confused in many people's minds when it comes to dealing with the question in hand. These terms are astronomy and astrology. Astronomy is the science that deals with studying the movements of the celestial bodies and reducing observations to mathematical order. That science is useful in determining time, seasons, the direction of Prayer, etc.

Astrology, on the other hand, is concerned with studying the positions and aspects of celestial bodies in the belief that they have an influence on the course of natural earthly occurrences and human affairs.

Astrologists believe that the movements of stars have an influence on people's lives. Both Muslim astronomers and [religious] scholars refuse the prophecies of astrologists. (excerpted from a lecture given by Dr. Yusuf Marwah under the title “Astronomy and the Beginning of the Lunar Months”)

According to scholars of Shari`ah, it is lawful to study astronomy; they accept that it is used in determining the beginning and end of the month of Ramadan.

The late renowned scholar Sheikh Ibn Raslan said: “The science of astronomy through which the movement of the sun and thus the direction of Prayer is detected is not prohibited in Islam.”

On the other hand, scholars agree that astrology is a prohibited field to deal with. Imam Ibn Taymiyah said: “Astrology that is concerned with studying the positions and aspects of celestial bodies in the belief that they have an influence on the course of natural earthly occurrences and human affairs is prohibited by Almighty Allah’s Book, the Sunnah, and the unanimous agreement of the Muslim scholars. Furthermore, astrology was considered forbidden by all Messengers of Almighty Allah.”

The great Saudi scholar, Ibn `Uthaymeen, said: “Astrology is a kind of sorcery and fortune-telling. It is forbidden because it is based on illusions, not on concrete facts. There is no relation between the movements of celestial bodies and what takes place on the Earth.”

Before the advent of Islam, people would think that the sun and moon might eclipse when a great figure died. During the Prophet’s lifetime, it happened that the sun eclipsed on the same day when the Prophet’s son Ibrahim died. The people then thought that it had eclipsed because of the Prophet’s son’s death. On knowing this, the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) led them in the Eclipse Prayer and then delivered them a speech saying: “The sun and moon are but signs of Allah; they do not eclipse because so-and-so died or was born.”

This hadith indicates that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) denied all relation between the movements of the heavenly bodies and events on the Earth. Besides, people who believe in the prophecies of astrologists are easily exposed to a labyrinth of illusions, pessimism, and psychological problems.

There is much evidence from the Sunnah that prohibits resort to or belief in astrology. Ibn `Abbas (may Allah be pleased with him and his father) reported t

• I like reading them, and comparing them to my personality but mostly no.

I sometimes do, but I beileve Allah knows best.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

no i dont

i want my next prayers for the coming 40 days to be accepted

and i dont want to be a kaffir

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.