Has anyone got a real authentic and tasty recipe for Jambalaya?

It's a cold winter's day here in London and I'm yearning for a taste of Louisiana to remind me of my happy times spent in New Orleans.

Thanks for sharing...

Favorite Answer

Shrimp and Chicken Jambalaya Recipe

Hey, If I can't be at Jazzfest, I may as well eat like I'm at Jazzfest! I'm working the food tent, you can go see my friend M.A. Sample at The Wreckroom for some great New Orleans music, he's missing Jazzfest as well.

I make my Jambalaya partly on the stove, then finish it in the oven. Since I'm using Chicken and Shrimp I want my stock to have those flavors, real simple. I heat up the right amount of Chicken Stock and add some raw Shrimp shells to it and simmer for about 15-20 minutes! It gives it a quick little infusion. I do the same thing when making a Cassoulet, except with Lamb bones, if I'm using Lamb. The Jambalaya Recipe:

New Orleans Cuisine Recipe - Shrimp and Chicken Jambalaya

Seasoning Mix (1/4 tsp Cayenne, 3/4 tsp White Pepper, 1 tsp Kosher Salt, 1/4 tsp Thyme, 1/2 tsp Rubbed Sage, 1/4 tsp Dried Basil, 1/2 tsp Black Pepper)

1 Tbsp Unsalted Butter

1/2 Cup Diced Andouille

1/2 Cup Diced Onion

1/2 Cup Diced Bell Pepper

1/2 Cup Diced Celery

1/2 Cup Diced Fresh Tomatoes

1/2 Cup Tomato Sauce

3/4 Cup Enriched Long Grain Rice

1 1/4 Cup Chicken Stock with a Shrimp shell infusion (see above)

1 Tbsp Homemade Worcestershire Sauce

2 Tbsp Minced Fresh Garlic

1/2 Cup Diced Chicken (Cooked or raw)

1 1/2 Cup Medium Shrimp (I use Louisiana)

1 Tbsp Finely Chopped Italian Parsley

3 Tbsp Finely Sliced Green Onions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Mix together the Holy Trinity (Onion, Celery, Bell Pepper).

In a Cast Iron Dutch Oven, melt the butter over medium heat, add the Andouille and cook until it just starts to brown. Add 1/2 of the Holy Trinity, cook until the vegetables are tender (nothing smells better than rendering Andouille with the Holy Trinity). Add the diced Tomatoes and cook for 1 minute. Add the Tomato Sauce and cook for another minute. Add the Rice and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the Stock, the remaining Holy Trinity, Seasoning Mix, Worcestershire, and the Garlic. Taste the broth for seasoning, particularly salt. Add the Chicken, stir well and put the pot in the preheated oven. Bake uncovered for 25 minutes. After the twenty-five minutes stir in the raw Shrimp, Parsley, and Green Onions, place back in the oven for an additional 10 minutes, or until the Shrimp are cooked through. Serve with French Bread and your favorite Beer

Jambalaya (Authentic)

* 1 small broiler-fryer chicken

* 1 stalk celery (cut into bit size pieces with leaves)

* 1 onion (quartered)

* 4 garlic cloves

* 2 cups converted long grain rice

* 1 lb cooked and peeled shrimp

* 1 lb smoked sausage (sliced)

* 1 lb ham (cubed)

* 1/4 cup butter

* 1 cup yellow onion (chopped)

* 3/4 cup green bell pepper (chopped)

* 1/4 cup fresh parsley (chopped)

* 2 garlic cloves (minced)

* 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste

* 1 large bay leaf

* 1/4 teaspoon thyme

* 2 teaspoons salt

* 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

In a large pot, cover chicken with water and add the celery, quartered onion, and the 4 cloves of garlic. Boil until tender, approximately 1 hour.

Reserve the stock. Remove the chicken from the bones & either cut, slice, cube or shred.

In 5 cups of stock, cook rice until liquid is absorbed, about 25 minutes. The rice should be slightly moist.

In a Dutch oven, saute the sausage and ham until slightly browned, about 3 to 5 minutes.

Remove the sausage and ham from the Dutch oven and set aside.

Add butter to Dutch oven and saute the chopped onion, green bell pepper and parsley until tender, about 3 minutes.

Into the Dutch oven, add the chicken, sausage, ham, the 2 cloves of minced garlic, tomato paste, bay leaf, thyme, salt and pepper.

Mix, and then add the rice and the cooked shrimp and mix thoroughly.

Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, about 15 minutes

Remove bay leaf and serve.

I won a contest at work with this recipe, in the 'Best Overall' category. It takes a fair amount of prep time, but it is worth it - especially the chicken stock! My notes: add a can of diced tomatoes, save chicken stock to thin the 'sauce' and only combine with rice right before serving, or serve over rice. I will definitely be making this recipe again and again. *Note: It makes a LOT of jambalaya, so invite your family & friends over for the fun!

Source(s): ~Pru~

Homemade is great, but if you can get Zatarain's Jambalaya mix there, you won't be disappointed. Personally, I add a 1/2 pound of diced Kielbasa to it, but shrimp and/or chicken works very well too.

• HD

Listen to John! You gotta have that shrimp stock!