AppaRidown asked in SportsTennis · 1 decade ago

Jim Courier Talks Too Much?

Hands up those who think Jim Courier talks too much when commentating at the Australian Open?

Favorite Answer

Yes, He also criticises a fair bit to certain tennis players. eg: Bernard Tomic.

Oh yeah. I love Jim like a brother but jeez he just keeps motoring at the mouth. It was all to much the other day when he went on for 10 minutes (2 games) about who had heavy balls. It was really about power, weight of racquets and the new technology for racquets and string etc. It was hilarious to here Jim talk about Lendal's heavy balls. Rest Jim, breathe, sometimes less is more.

Generally yes.

I find the only ex-player who is a good commentator is Pat Cash, who for the UK commentates generally at Wimbledon matches. He is very laid back, speaks at appropriate times, and I found particularly at the 2001 Wimbledon final, he actually added to the atmosphere.

***********

Just now, after the Tsonga-Haas match, Courier has gone on for about five minutes in the on-court interview with Tsonga over his new racket. How banal!

All the commentators talk too much. They say the MOST unnecessary comments.

"Ooh, an ace." "Double fault #3." "A winner."

And I hate most when a player is down like 0-6 0-5 and they continue to talk about how they can somehow get back in it and it's like shut up already.

I think he is alright he interviews the players well, in the commentary box i dont really take much notice of him, i just watch the game and enjoy!

Source(s): Me

but isnt it his job 2 talk?