Why does everyone and their mother want to move to Austin?

Literally almost everyone I knew in high school was planning to move to Austin. I live in a medium-sized town of about 70,000 and all I ever hear from the kids in my age group (18-24) is how they are saving up or planning to move to Austin. Many of them have already gone. When my 6th friend moved there, I asked... show more Literally almost everyone I knew in high school was planning to move to Austin. I live in a medium-sized town of about 70,000 and all I ever hear from the kids in my age group (18-24) is how they are saving up or planning to move to Austin. Many of them have already gone. When my 6th friend moved there, I asked "Why is EVERYONE going to Austin?" and he was like "Everyone needs to live in Austin once!" I keep hearing about how great the culture is, but my problem with that is the people I know that are moving there are not exactly cultured...Many of the people I know that have migrated there have small-town mentalities and prejudices, and think with closed minds. So I ask myself if people like that are moving there from all over Texas, how much longer will Austin be regarded as the eccentric and open-minded city it is, with so many people moving there that...aren't that way? Austin seems to attract the stupid people just as much as the others.

I do not know a single person in my age that doesn't talk about moving to Austin, and it leaves me not wanting to move there at all. One, because I hear about it so much it gets irritating. And two, because since every person I know will eventually be living there, it will be like I'm in the same town I am now.

I also dislike heavy traffic a lot, and I hear Austin is bad with this. And it can be expensive to live in.

Can anyone tell me what is SO great about Austin that everyone and their mother wishes to live there, and is it overrated? Also, with all the people pouring in from all over the place, is it losing its eccentricity?