Spam is emailing all my addresses in my address book, how do I stop this?

Something has gotten into my address book and keeps sending my contacts spam messages with my address as the sender. My friends keep asking why am I sending them spam. I am not doing this how can I stop this from happening. It seems like some kind of spyware but I have Zone Alarm which should have caught this. No virus has been sent to destroy anything just spam to buy something.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Best Answer

Zone Alarm cannot catch everything, so run a couple of other good anti-spyware programs, such as Spybot Search and Destroy or Trend Micro Housecall.

These days, you are more likely to have had your address 'harvested' by a powerful spam bot network - they even sell addresses to other spammers for criminal intent such as gathering information through your saved mails.

Act fast - you could be open to identity theft, as could your contacts. Read at least #2 an d#4 references from Tech Guru Leo Notenbloom's recent columns - they are very detailed and more helpful than ant others I had read.

Once you have set up a safe, secure new account ... e-mail all your contacts apologizing, and asking (begging) them to PLEASE use safe practices in e-mails (BCC all, delete all other addresses in Forwards!)

• 3 years ago

You must run an antivirus and adware (like Spybot) software to take away any individual who hacking your pc. Then you difference the passwords for your login on your e mail. You could even be the sufferer of a spammer who has randomly decided on your e mail deal with because the go back course and/or from for outbound junk mail.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.