Amy asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Pregnant Chihuahua Temperature Fluctuations?

Ok my Chihuahua is pregnant, to avoid and useless answers I will tell you a few things.

1. I do not know when she was in heat, she is a rescue I took her in only a week ago but she is definitely within week 8.

2. It is not a false pregnancy I can see and feel the puppies move, the are getting more active everyday!

Ok now that all that is out of the way, I have been taking her temperature twice daily first thing after waking up and right before bed. (today is friday) Wednesday night it was 100.3 this is what she has consistently averaged every reading. Thursday morning 98.9, I got very exited thinking this is the drop i've been waiting for we are getting close, Thursday 1pm 98.7 yess still dropping. Thursday 4pm 100.1 uhm ok? Thursday 8pm 101.1 wow...that's the highest ever...Thursday 10pm 99.5 ok dropping again. Friday (today) 10:30 am 100.1. So I am extremely confused I really want to be able to get a time frame here so I can be all ready for her. Also as I already said the puppies are moving more than i've ever seen and she is being different, I know I ha vent had her long but she is a sweetpea and she is not acting herself at all more sleeping than normal, but moving around often, spending extra time in the whelping box, burrowing into laundry and hiding under beds

To add, I have dad also, he is a chihuahua, and is about 4 pounds smaller than her she is a slightly larger lady

OK i did not put this up 1. to get a lecture about getting her spayed, she is a resuce although she is purebred, i am not stupid, I want to get her spayed, I do not need to be educated on this matter, again I repeat I rescued her (from irresponsible breeders) 2. READ THE WHOLE thing before you answer I know who the sire is I have him quit tellling me she going to have giant puppies I understand Chihuahua's often need C-sections and that is all set up if it proves to be needed, all I am looking for is some answers about her temperature roller coaster. I'm not trying to be hateful just get some help from others who might have had this before or know more about temp readings, I never had this happen before.

Please and thank you all =]

• Favorite Answer

That happens sometimes.

Basically, I don't leave them alone during the last week. If I can't be with her, I leave her with a friend who will call me (probably in a panic) as soon as she shows signs of being in labor. If I'm doing something around the house I check on her frequently. She does not go outside unless I'm there. At the first sign of labor we retreat to my bedroom (where the whelping box is) with a good book and wait. Just when you get to the good part, the delivery will start <G>. Actually, I usually spend the time re-reading the whelping section of my favorite book on breeding, just to refresh my memory.

Did you have her x-rayed so you know how many pups to expect?

She is very close. Keep a close eye on her because she may have Dystocia & need a c-section or if the pups are too big there will be complications, if you see her straining any at all with no pups born, VET ASAP. Her temp. will be a consistent 98 degrees for longer than a few hours before Labor & then will rise again. You can look for panting, shaking, digging, loss of appetite, but some dogs show no outward signs until ready to deliver a pup.

normal temp is 101 when it drops two degrees she is 12-24 hours away from whelping,so if her temp rises up again, it may be signs of trouble. Keep in mind in order to get an accurate temp reading you must have a thermometer made for pets to get a true reading. The only one that can be used that is labeled for humans is the rectal thermometer. If you are using the ones that go in the ear it has to be one that is made for pets. A Chi sometimes go into labor problems since you don't know who the stud was she may have trouble birthing a large puppy. In any case take her to the vet for a checkup

Source(s): 15 yr breeder of GSD

Normal temperature is 101-102.3 She is 3 weeks pregnant, surely you aren't looking for a dropped temperature already are you?? I hope you are doing more research into this than just taking the temperature.. In the big scheme of producing a litter, the temperature is a very very very minor deal.. It's not even a great indicator... My b itch, her temp droped Friday morning and she didn't whelp til Sunday morning... Temp is nothing.. You need to find out what you should be feeding her. You need to get your vet ready and waiting, cause you haven't a clue what you are doing. You need to learn the signs of a b itch that is about to whelp, You need to learn the signs of a b itch that is in trouble and needs to see the vet. You need to learn all about puppies and the stages they grow thru so you know what is correct and how to know that there is a problem. You need to be looking for good homes for these little guys. You need to find out what it's going to cost you and where you are going for vaccinations and worming. You need to learn learn learn.. Forget the temperature, there is alot more to learn than that.. 100.2 might be her normal temperature.. You still have approx 6 weeks.. Why don't you just get her spayed.. There are thousands and thousands of chihuahuas looking for homes.. Puppies that are already born and suffering, needing a forever home.. Why add to that.. it's just selfish.. Tell me.. What is it that you bred this litter for?? What it because your little b itch really had something to add to the breed?? Or was it because she is cute, or she has a nice temperament?? Or maybe cause she does something funny, or you just wanted puppies to play with.. Research should be done way in advance of breeding the litter, not 3 weeks into pregnancy.

• Temp usually fluctuates greatly in the last week, but when it drops BELOW 98 deg and does not go back up when you take it again after (say) 5 hours, you can expect her to deliver within the next 12 hours.

As others have said, as she is so small and you do not know what she has mated with, it would be very wise to get her x-rayed and to also alert your vet in case she needs a c-section, which could be very likely.

#

Please get her spayed after all this.

• TK

She is in Stage I labor. Make sure her whelping box is isolated from other household animals. Offer her fresh water but hold any food at this point. Keep her confined to the area of her whelping box and only take her outside to potty on lead (you don’t want her dropping a pup out behind a bush).

• JenVT

My first advice is to keep her confined to the whelping box area. If she's a rescue, I assume that she has seen a vet? I would call the vet and talk to them so they can help you figure it out. You will also want to get information from them about what to do in the case of an after-hours emergency. I'm sure you know that lots of chi's need c-sections.

Everything should already be ready for her. She needs to be x-rayed. Not only so you know how many to expect, but so your vet can measure the size of the puppies' heads in relation to her pelvis to see if she'll have a chance to whelp them or you should schedule a c-section. Temperature in my opinion is not a reliable tool as you see it will fluctuate greatly. Look for signs of nesting, shivering and panting and use what time you have left to prepare fully

• HM

Take her to the vet, you probably should take her in when she is ready to give birth, or call the vet once she starts. She might need a c-section, especially is she mated with a dog larger than a chihuahua

Abort and spay.