why the benefits of nuclear weapons overweight the disadvantages?

I want the disscution of the quetion

Favorite Answer

I believe the fact that both the U.S and the Soviet Union had nuclear weapons is what prevented the U.S and the Soviet Union from fighting each other in a conventional war that would have started WW3. Had the Soviets started to defeat the U.S we would have nuked them and they would have done the same to us.

Would Hitler have invaded Russia or Poland or France, if they had nuclear weapons at the time? Would WW2 have been avoided completely if most European nations at the time, had nuclear weapons or would they have all nuked each other? Would Japan have raped and pillaged their way across Asia if China, Korea, and the Philippines had nuclear weapons? Would Japan have attacked the U.S if we had nuclear weapons in 1941? To really answer your question. I believe as long as nations have nuclear weapons, no one is going to be crazy enough to invade them and fight a conventional war against them as it most likely would lead to an all out nuclear war.

We haven't had a war between major powers in over 60 years. That's after having 2 wars that killed a combined 100 million people over the course of 31 years.

I'm a conservative and I too think that the benefits do not outweigh the problems. I still support us having them however as there is no hope in trusting all other countries to get rid of all their nuclear weapons. They are terrible but necessary.

the only advantage of a nuclear weapons program is that it discourages invasion by an aggressive country. but when you're dealing with psychopaths for world leaders who don't care who dies to achieve their goals, this isn't much of an advantage.

there are presently enough nuclear weapons in the world to destroy every inch of the globe dozens of times. anyone who can see any benefit in this is brain-dead.

if the other guy has a gun you better get one too. if he has three guns you need four. the benefits do not outweigh the disadvantages, but arms escalation seems to be part of our nature.

They don't