Jay Sean asked in Consumer ElectronicsTVs · 1 decade ago

How much does it cost to start a tv channel?

Like a realistically big one, with 2 or 3 popular shows. Which can somewhat compete with the larger networks... And please, no cutsie answers...

I am sorry but I interned at a small television station and record company. It does not cost a half a billion dollars. Also it television you can copy someone else idea for television its done all the time. A television station in small town texas will copy an idea from Chicago or new york. Television is still king cable and sat tv does charge you for your channel . They pay you to broadcast your channel. Even if you have a small network in a major city. You can still make out like a fat rat. The actual price of running a channel can very from city to city (Unions) but if it makes you feel any better I was shocked to learn mtv only paid there camera men and women 11.00 bucks a hour. And no benefits. It can be done.

You must have capital - you have to be able to get up and running and sustain your network at a level that is necessary to keep your audience interested, the advertisers happy, and the cable operators desiring to keep you on board. So knowing you are a viable business begins the process.

Here you would need to create a business plan and lay out your entire idea and how you plan to spend and make your money. I would also create a programming schedule that is 24/7 for one week, with highlights for a month and how you plan to spend your year. I don't know what your idea is, but if it copies something that already exists, your changes for success are not very high.

When you suggest buying out other networks, I am not sure what you mean - those networks may not want to be bought out - and may have long term contracts with cable companies. It is a very competitive business and all you need to do is dial around and see that you have a lot of competition.

Having said that, if your idea is unique, you think it may be attractive to a large national audience, you have the business plan, the capital, and the legal to continue, you may be onto something. Then you can contact the homebase for the large cable/satellite operators and see if they have any interest in your network.

But like any business you need to study your competition...what is their schedule like? How might they be producing their shows? What is their potential budget for operations? Where do they operate their programming from? Does your programming match up to what see currently existing?

The major media corporations like to keep it in the family. That is why you don't see numbers on how to do this or any kind of assist as to how to start up this business. So you are left to speculate and just take a stab at it... Any contacts you can make in the business will help, but it does make for a very tough animal to corral.

This is a cash intensive business - but if you work at it, have a sensational idea, and can pull it off - you may just make it. Best of luck on your venture!

• Gladston6 years agoReport

Trikode Media is multidisciplinary Support and Consultancy Firm for TV Channel Broadcasters and Startup Broadcasters located in India, specifically providing Complete Turnkey Solutions for Media Broadcastinng. We comprehend all areas Micro

• I want to add my own question,How much would it cost to make a terrestrial tv channel?Would it be cheaper to rent the network of some other bigger station?long term or short term?

How about just making a small scale local tv station?

I want to make a channel with re-runs programs. In my country will work that. So I don't need cameras, just equipments for broadcasting... and money to buy that re-runs programs. How much?

• autumn

Interesting points, but I'm not 100%

Thomas i suppose that doesnt include your technical infrastructure involved in setting it up . you need cameras , playout servers , studio setup , storage , post production fecility , MCR fecility , pcr Fecility , media content , encoders etc Without these factors i am not sure how you will be able to go onair.

• Gladston6 years agoReport

In all cases, its actually Facility, not Fecility. If you're preaching, make sure you practice!!

no that no true.....just $6000 per month and just see below

$6000 per month

office $1000

internet $89

staff $2000

pge $500

Total $10,000 per month.

in india what is the cost?