Is this child abuse/endangerment? Dog that isnt good with kids in a house with a 2 year old and 6 month old?

My neighbors got a new pit bull rottweiler mix, I dont have a problem with the breed, But, the dog isnt good with little kids, My neighbor told me, and then i got on craigslist trying 2 find my family a new puppy for my gf and sons birthday, and i saw my neighbors new dog on there. This is what the ad said

"I have a 3 year old AKC registered pit rott mix. Not good with little kids, WILL NOT sell to anyone with kids under the age of 14.I have 3 kids, a 3 year old and 5 year old twins, He has bit or nipped all 3 of them. Hes ok with other dogs but has hurt our chihuahua before. $250 Minimum"

My neighbor has 2 kids under 14. One is 2 and one is 6 months...If its not good with kids then how are they stopping it from hurting there kids? We have a fence up for our 2 dogs and when my kids are outside playing there dog is at our fence growling and trying to jump it 2 get to them. They dont even have a fence/chain for it. they have only had it 4 days and it seems good about staying in there yard. But my kids havent been out of the fence(besides going to the car and we were carrying them) so if there dogs out, and my kids go out front, whats stopping it from running over here and attacking them? What do i do to protect my kids, and my neighbors kids? Im more worried about my neighbors kids right now cause my kids can stay in the fence or inside but the neighbors kids are in the house with the dog most the time...What do i do?

Its a coincidence that it looks just like there dog, not good with kids, and in the same town my neighbors got there dog from...?

• JenVT
    Favorite Answer

Hmmm...this is a little strange. For one thing, the AKC does not register mixes. Why not contact teh poster of the ad to see if they still have th edog. That would ease your mind about whether or not the dog in the ad and the dog at your neighbors are one and the same. I am sure there are leash/confinement laws in your town which perhaps your neighbor should be made aware of. It does sound like this dog might be a little unstable, but my dogs are awesome with kids and still bark when people walk by the fence, so that is no indication. not to fuel your panic or make you nuts, but there is nothing that would keep the dog from running into your front yard. You know it may possibly be dangerous, so now it is your responsibility to keep your kids safe on your property. Unfortunately, all you can do is voice your concerns to the neighbor and hope they hear you.

• abbas

Get a rescue puppy from the humane society or a identical group. If you don't want a purebred puppy there are lots of "muts" that make special pets and customarily have so much bigger temperament than that of a natural bred. You can go browsing and notice pictures of puppies at humane societies or animal shelters which can be looking forward to a household to undertake them. Most have there pictures and are spayed/neutered and they're most commonly low cost in comparison to getting a puppy from a breeder. Plus you are going to rescue a puppy that demands aid. Good good fortune!

Umm...it could be a totally different dog. How do you know for SURE that the one you saw on C.L. isn't another pit bull/rottie mix?

• ugh... i have the same kind of stupid neighbours with the same kind of dog... but theirs was deemed vicious (casue it kills other animals and has attacked people in our neighbourhood)

my children are terrified of playing in our backyard in case the neighbours let their dog out. Their children are terrified of playing around thier own dog!

but no one cares... we've tried everything to have the dog removed but really, no one seems to care!

and btw... you shouldn't name the breed, it;s not fare to the good rottie and pitts... and besides, have you ever been bit by a chihuahua? it hurts like hell! they are vicious little buggers... breed doesn't matter, it's the individual dog itself...

• Tati

talk to your neighbors, say you understand they are trying to find the dog a new home but while he lives there you are very nervous about him and ask they keep him tied up... if they dont then call teh dog officer, i assume there are leash laws in your area and to have a loose animal disobeys the law

how do you know it's the same dog???????????