kmatyja asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 1 decade ago

If you are just adding someone to your bank account, will they check that person's credit?

I have a bank account and want to add my girlfriend's name to it and get her a debit card to that account as well. We're pretty sure her name is in chex systems, but wanted to know, since this is already an open account in my name, will they deny her if she is in chex systems even though she's not opening this account in her own name?

by the way, she's not just a random girlfriend. we've been together for 2 years and we're getting married.

Favorite Answer

No, your bank is not going to check her credit history since they are not extending her credit. Should be real easy to go in and add her to your account and get her a debit card. Just keep an eye on your balance since when two people are using the same account, you can easily create and overdraft situation without knowing.

Bank Account Without Credit Check

• beich

Checking Account Bad Credit Chexsystems

1

Source(s): Check personal credit at KNOWYOURCREDITOPTIONS.COM

First of all, her name will be on the account, she'll need to provide ID, both of you need to go in together and sign papers and yes, they'll do a credit check.

You can have a joint account with anyone you like, just be aware that person will have full access to the money in the account no matter who put it there in the first place. If your girlfriend goes on a shopping spree and spends everything there won't be anything you can do as far as recouping those funds. Be sure this person is someone you are in a healthy committed relationship with not just a casual thing with someone who needs to get her checks cashed.

That being said, if she has really bad credit the only thing a bank can and probably will do is put a hold on the account. That means that any checks that are deposited will be held for 5 days for the check to clear before you have access to the money.

Source(s): I work in a bank.
    • Ooogoa6 years agoReport

Excellent answer.

Get a No Cost Background Check Scan at https://biturl.im/aU47N

Its a sensible way to start. The site allows you to do a no cost scan simply to find out if any sort of data is in existence. A smaller analysis is done without cost. To get a detailed report its a modest payment.

You may not realize how many good reasons there are to try and find out more about the people around you. After all, whether you're talking about new friends, employees, doctors, caretakers for elderly family members, or even significant others, you, as a citizen, have a right to know whether the people you surround yourself with are who they say they are. This goes double in any situation that involves your children, which not only includes teachers and babysitters, but also scout masters, little league coaches and others. Bottom line, if you want to find out more about someone, you should perform a background check.

• Carlii

Yes, they definitely will. When my husband and I got married, he tried to add me to his checking account, and since I had an unpaid negative balance with a previous bank, they couldn't add me. They did give me a paper with a phone number on it to call, to get things straighted out. As soon as I paid that debt, I got a letter stating it was paid in full from my old bank, and then my husband was able to add me with no problems at all.

The only thing you can do is take her to your bank and let them run the check on her credit - they might not care about NSF checks, as long as she paid her bank.

And not extending credit to her has nothing to do with a credit check - there are other reasons to do a check. In this case, they are doing a lot of things, such as checking the terrorism database to make sure she doesn't have terrorist background. They check to make sure she isn't into fraud - because, as a person who will be able to write checks to your account, she could feasibly write hundreds of checks out of your account for thousands of dollars of stuff - and then disappear, leaving the bank with an insanely negative balance from all the fees. Of course, this would put YOU in a bind, as well - and although I'm sure you don't think she'd do such a thing, it is possible. Even if you believe in her, the bank will watch out for your - and their - best interests.

It's going to be pretty painful after breaking up with someone you love so much. It's inevitable that you're going to feel very down, sad and depressed. Sometimes it seems you spend every waking moment thinking about how to get your ex back. Try to visit this site in order to get the best benefit out of it https://tr.im/FT7kf

Do a simple search, and you're bound to find a plethora of information, with a whole host of different opinions, sometimes seemingly off opposing viewpoints. To focus in on something that's going to help you, the first thing you think about is establishing some common courtesy.

First off, NEVER play mind games with people. This will only get people hurt and will probably end up worsening the situation. I only mention this because naturally people are ruled by their emotions rather than thinking their actions through thoroughly. Think the situation through before doing things based on your emotions. Remember, even if you do manage to get people to do what you want, this amounts to manipulation, and however good you feel now, I guarantee it won't last very long.

I work for a bank in New Mexico. If the record on her ChexSystems inquiry has not been settled we would NOT add her to your account.

If it has been settled we would add her to the account with special limitations (i.e. won't issue a check card for 180 days)

Some banks are more lenient on these things though so you will just have to ask yours about their policy

• Tedi

For Finance and credit solutions I visit this site where you can find all the solutions. http://SMARTFINANCESOLUTIONS.NET/index.html?src=5Y...

RE :If you are just adding someone to your bank account, will they check that person's credit?

Update: by the way, she's not just a random girlfriend. we've been together for 2 years and we're getting married.

1 following 14 answers

Source(s): For Finance and credit solutions I visit this site where you can find all the solutions. http://SMARTFINANCESOLUTIONS.NET/index.html?src=5Y...