What age dog should I adopt?

We currently have a 13 year old male cocker that we have had for about 8 years. My son just adopted a female mini dachsund who is 1 year old and these two get along well together. Now my daughter wants to adopt a German Shepherd but we are torn over the best age to get. if we get an adult dog I am afraid of fights... show more We currently have a 13 year old male cocker that we have had for about 8 years. My son just adopted a female mini dachsund who is 1 year old and these two get along well together. Now my daughter wants to adopt a German Shepherd but we are torn over the best age to get. if we get an adult dog I am afraid of fights for dominance, but if we get a puppy I hate the thought of the chewing and the potty training. thus I am considering one that is relatively young, maybe 5-6 months that has already been potty trained. Any suggestions on best age to adopt so that all goes smoothly in the pack and at home?
Update: yes, our current dogs are spayed and neutuered. My son is 21 and will be moving out with his dog this fall, my daughter is 19 and will be moving out with her dog in the fall as well. So these dogs need to be able to get along temporarily....