can you set a manual car into neutral if its on 2nd,3rd,4th,5th gear? or do you have to downshift?

I will soon be driving manual transmission and I would like to know if you can set a car into neutral if its in 2nd - 5th gear?

for example: If I am driving and I am in 4th gear and about to approach a STOP sign, can I directly push IN the clutch and set it on neutral or do I have downshift to 3rd then 2nd?

Your help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Best Answer

Yes, it is possible to do so, as long as you're efficient in your braking. If you're going at high speed however, best you change a lower gear to help your vehicle slow down. Even at 80km/h (or 50mph), I tend to change to a lower gear to help my car slow down (as my brakes are not so efficient, being an old car) for braking when coming to junctions, corners and down slopes.

When the clutch is in, you are in essence in neutral and can just apply the brakes to stop. You don't have to move anything. And when you shift, you don't stop at neutral, you just shift to the next gear. So if you are coming to a stop sign and aren't going too fast, you push in the clutch and apply the brakes. You have another option. If you are going pretty fast. . .like exiting a highway. . .you have the option of downshifting a gear and letting the clutch out. That will help you slow down without braking. But approach that cautiously because when you downshift, you make the motor race and you don't want to blow up your engine so do it one at a time until you get the hang of it. It's really no big deal but good to know if you really need to stop quick and it will help slow you down faster than brakes alone in an emergency. Then you put in the clutch when you are going slower all while applying brakes or not. Your choice. Then you also need to know as you slow down. . .clutch in and brakes on . .some cars will allow you shift into first when you are slowly going forward so you are ready to go as soon as you stop. Some cars won't let you do that. The cars that don't allow that will not let you put it in first and the gears will grind so try that gingerly the first time. And most important. . .never shift into reverse while still moving forward. Be careful. it is really simple and just takes a little practice and you will have it. Learning on a stick shift is the thing to do because then you can drive anything. Good luck. And that is true about taking it out of gear without the clutch but just use it in the beginning until you are a much better driver.

You actually only need to push in the clutch and don't need to put it into neutral until after you stop although you could put it neutral before stopping. You don't need to downshift, you can go into directly into neutral from any gear. Put in the clutch just before the car begins to buck or tries to stall. That way you have the extra braking of the engine until you clutch. It's actually a bad idea to downshift when slowing down because it puts extra wear on the clutch and engine. If you will be accelerating again without coming to a full stop it is advisable to put it into a lower gear without releasing the clutch so that when you're ready to accelerate you're already in the proper gear and only need to release the clutch. Just as a bit of extra information you'll find you can put it into neutral very easily without clutching. Clutching is really only needed when going into gear or changing gears. The only time you should downshift to slow the car is when you are on a long downhill and the reason is to keep the brakes from overheating from too much use.

• GARY H

NONONO, yes you can go into neutral from any gear, and it will not hurt the transmission, but always downshift and brake at the same time. You control your car better and save your breaks. This doesn't hurt either your engine or transmission unless you downshift at too high a speed.

Source(s): driving a stick for over 40 years, and where these other people got there idea of coasting is beyond me, you have much poorer control of your car. For more information go to Click and Clack on the NPR website.
  • chitty

5th Gear Cars

• Johnka

You can put it into neutral but good drivers use engine braking to slow to a stop eg 4th to 3rd to 2nd and clutch in and brake to a stop. Into neutral with hand brake on. When clear into first and go.

Just throw in in neutral, neutral is simply the lack of being in a gear. You have to pass between neutral between each gear anyways (I'm not getting into sequential shifters like motorcycles).

Unless I'm approaching from a distance and I want to divert breaking energy to the air conditioner or heat up the heater with breaking energy I go straight to neutral anyways.

i wish i had a manul in my dodge. in my moms ranger. i down shift ever gear when stopping, but you dont have to, i just do it because i like to..... all you gota do is push clutch in, put in nuetral. or you can just push the clutch in, and when you come to a stop you can put it in first. everyone drives a manual trans. different. just figure out which is easier for you. have fun!

If you you know how to downshift correctly and smoothly then I would suggest downshift, If you dont know how then just throw it in neutral. Downshifting helps slow you down fast in fast speeds which leads to being able to control your vehicle. Learning how to down shift is always helpful in the long run.

Brakes are cheaper than transmissions or clutches so use your breaks to stop. Shift into neutral.