take-off and landing distances for Cessna 172?

I plan to buy a cessna 172 or something similar for skipping around on business trips once I get my pilots license, many places I go have short air strips, I would also like to put a landing strip on a property I have which is 700m overall length. What are the shortest take off and landing distances for a light aircraft in this class? Also, I heard there is a short field package for the 172, how much does it help?

Favorite Answer

You can land a 172 over a 50 ft obstacle in about 1500 feet with a 500ft landing roll, meaning that if you have no obstacles at the end of the runway, all you need is about 500 ft on a standard sea level day.

Takeoff over a 50 ft obstacle is also about 1500 ft with about a 900 ft takeoff roll.

Higher altitudes or warmer temps will increase the distance,

There are STOL kits for the 172, which will be of help for landing, but less so for takeoff because horsepower is a major factor for takeoff...

If there are no obstacles, 2100 feet is plenty for a sea level standard operation.

• boarts

Cessna 172 Landing Distance

What kind of surface? Grass strips need a lot more takeoff and landing distance than pavement.

What altitude is your property?

What's off the end of the runway?

This should be ample. You will learn the requirements as part of your pilot training.

on a grass field