What do you need to file taxes Married to an illegal alien?

I am trying to help my sister with her taxes, she got married in 2009, he is not a resident alien, he does not have an authorization to work in the U.S. I have read on several other sites that she can file MFJ and that he has to have an ITIN as he does not have a SSN, However, they can not get the EIC and with both... show more I am trying to help my sister with her taxes, she got married in 2009, he is not a resident alien, he does not have an authorization to work in the U.S. I have read on several other sites that she can file MFJ and that he has to have an ITIN as he does not have a SSN, However, they can not get the EIC and with both of their jobs being low income, this would probably give them a small return if any, first off does she have to file with him? can she file alone? (not married filing seperatly, but not claim him at all?) If she has to file with him either way she can not take the EIC can she? I tried to ask a tax professional and they could not explain the answers to me, I checked the IRS website and there are special rules that apply to being a resident alien and non resident and how you can determine this. Any answers or suggestions on where I can find this information would be helpful. Thank you

P.S please no rude comments about her being married to a non resident alien, everyone makes there choices and I am just trying to help her.