GH: Is it me or is JJ as Lucky very emotional?

I just noticed that ever since Johnathan Jackson came back as Lucky that he is teary eyed an awful lot. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with a man being emotional or crying, but I swear at least once an episode since he has been back he has had tears in his eyes about something. When he is interacting with Luke-tears, Elizabeth-tears, now since he found out about affair-tears. I guess what I am wondering is why they didn't have Greg Vaughan be as emotional as JJ? You didn't see him teary eyed nowhere near as much as the original Lucky. Just an interesting observation I was pondering yesterday.

Favorite Answer

That's how Lucky was from the start. Lucky has a lot of Laura in him and from the very beginning JJ had always played him like that. The role of Lucky is very multi-dimensional. It is a character that has a lot of characteristics of Laura but also a lot of Luke and he's constantly struggling between that. When JJ left years ago, the character lost that and became very flat and it seemed like they couldn't get an actor to showcase all the different sides of Lucky.

JJ has come back at a time when Lucky seems to be at a crossroads and dealing with a lot at one time. I'm glad he's back and I'm glad that he is no longer a backburner character. The character always had tons of potential and longevity but was never really played correctly and played with any kind of range. With JJ, you get a range or emotions that you wouldn't have had otherwise with GV. The writers are using that to their advantage and bringing back the Lucky we all knew and loved and the Lucky that really should've been on screen.

That's how Jonathan Jackson played Lucky from the start. He's always been very emotional and that's something Greg Vaughan and the other actor who played Lucky couldn't get. I have always wondered why the writers never had Greg play an emotional Lucky but maybe it's because Greg as an actor couldn't tap into his emotions? I'm not sure. I definitely like Jonathan playing Lucky because it reminds me of how Lucky used to be (especially when Elizabeth first came to town in the mid-90s).

He has all this history with all these people that Greg didn't have. JJ is the best man for this part, hands down and Liz and Nic are giving him plenty to be teary eyed about right now.

His emotions are purely storyline dictated. Since he was been on air he has had to deal with many personal and emotional issues. His reactions to those issues is what makes him a terrific actor. You can tell he puts his heart and soul intto his dialogue and what Lucky Spencer is experiencing. GV was a very one sided actor. With JJ we see the great morally intact cop, but we also see Luke's son who is struggling with his dna pulling him in different directions. I love it! I am very excited to see where JJ takes the character!

While I'm sure GV is a fine actor in his own right, I never felt he was "Lucky". JJ is Lucky. Most actors can grow in to that role and make it their own. I don't feel that GV was able to do that. Oh, sure, he was okay but JJ in the role is so much better.

• Sherry

I've noticed it too. It reminds me of Laura Wright as Carly. She always has tears in her eyes too. I don't remember SJB or Tamara Brain being as emotional as her. I think JJ comes off as more sensitive so it doesn't bother me. He"s been dealing with a lot of crap since he came back. I think he's playing it just right. He broke my heart yesterday! I don't think GV could pull off the emotional parts like JJ.

Lucky was always very emotional. Idk why they didn't give the other actors who replaced JJ a chance to show their emotions. Lucky has had a lot to deal with since JJ's been back, so that's why he's even more emotional than usual.

JJ is more emotional bc the writers never gave Greg anything like that to work with. Greg was a more mature version of Lucky and while JJ was great in the past, to me he and Elisabeth have no chemistry on camera like she did with Greg. I would much prefer the more manly version to JJ, even though he is a good actor. He just seems to young and inexperienced. But that is only my opinion.

This was how he always was, Greg didn't go that way so he could make Lucky his own. Lucky has always been emotional, he has a lot of Laura in him but a whole lot of Luke too! I am loving JJ again! I wasn't sure he would work as Lucky after all these years but he does!

Probably because JJ is better at that stuff then Greg Vaughn was.