is this a scam?? he sent me a cashiers check in the mail.. if it is a scam what do i do with the check?

Dear applicant,

This is to update you that we recieved your email in regards to my posting for Urgently Needed: Partime Assistant ( Weekend Duties). I am looking for someone who can act as my PA and Errand messenger,Someone who can handle my personal and business errands at his/her spare time.This duties required of you will be needed basically during the weekends and this will give you free time to go on with your regular job .Below are details of what you expected from this job position.

Someone who can offer me these services:

*****************************************

Mail services: Receive my mails and drop them offat UPS (nothing illegal) Shop for Gifts,Bill payment ( pay my bills on my behalf),Sit for delivery( at your home) or pick items up at nearby post office at your convenience. Let me know if you will be able to offer me any/all of these services

Where are you located? I would love to meet up with you to talk about this job but I am currently away in Germany for a 40 working days business summit / trip .

MORE DETAILS :

***************

I own a new art galery in Australia which just started operations and sales this year and i am sourcing to buy more art works from proffesional painters and artist within the USA.This is where you come in, I am willing to pay you in advance to do my artworks and paintings shoppings for me,make payments for them and have them delivered to you. I will also have my mails and packages forwarded to your address.. If you will be unable to stay at your house to get my mails, I can have it shipped to a post office near you and then you can pick it up at your convenience. When you get my mails/packages; you are required to mail them to where I want them mailed to. You don't have to put money out of your pocket, all you have to do is have packages shipped to your house and do my shopping.. You are allowed to open the packages to reveal its content. The content of the packages are art works,paintings,computer and electronics, clothings business and personal letters. All expenses and taxes will be covered by me. You will work only on saturdays. How much will you charge per week? I am willing to pay $200.00. That is not a bad offer is it?

I need your service instantly because as you know already i am constantly out of town. I will return to USA in March 2010 so this process will be on going till then. If you don't mind, I will meet up with you when I return and then we can talk about the possibility of making this long term though i will still get in touch with you via phone soon as we have an agreement and you start work. Well, let me know if you are able to handle the position. Hope to hear I will email you the list and pictures of what to shop for when I am ready. No heavy packages is involved! You can do the shopping at any nearest stores. You will be shopping for this festive season for some gifts,Electronics and clothings.

I will provide you my personal UPS account number for Shipping. All you have to do is provide my account number to UPS and shipping charges will be applied into the account. I will provide clear set of instructions for each task I need done as well the funds to cover them. If I were to mail you money in form of cashiers check or money orders to do my shopping plus upfront payment for your service, where would you want it mailed to? How should your name appear on the money?

Provide me with the following details below :-

Full Name:

Full Address: (NO P.O.BOX)

City:

State:

Country:

Zip Code:

Phone Number:

Age:

Email:

I will be expecting your responds towards my request. Hope to read from you as soon as possible.

Thanks for your co-operation and understanding.

Best Regards.

Jay Pron

17 Kent Street,

Bentley, Perth.6101

Western Australia

i called fed ex yesterday and i had them send it back to the person who sent it to me. .. i probably should have kept it but honestly i don't want that on my plate. thanks for everyone's advice!

Favorite Answer

Hi Ashley, I also received the same email from Jay Pron when I replied to his ad for an assistant on Craiglist.com. I know there are certified check scams where they sent you a fake certified check and by the time your bank finds out it's a fake, you are out thousands of dollars. Be careful! I only accept Paypal payments for my work as a virtual assistant. Good luck!

• Mindy

Geez, how long is this question? Here's what you do, in any case: 1. Throw the check away. Better yet, shred it or tear it into little pieces. 2. Cease all contact with the scammer. 3. Unless you gave out personal details like your password, your bank account information, credit card info, etc., I wouldn't worry very much. 4. I also would be very cautious in opening email for a while. If you do open one that LOOKS suspicious, put it in spam, immediately. Did it not clue you in when the ad said he was looking for a personal assistant (NY). Well, 904 is the area code for Jacksonville, St Augustine, Starke, Green Cove Springs and Northeastern Florida, Florida, NOT New York. I believe I would forward this one to spam@uce.gov, the government department set up to investigate stuff like this. If you can, cursor or scroll to the bottom of the message, if it's Yahoo email, and on the right click on Full Headers. THEN forward it. If it's NOT Yahoo email, then check your help tab for how to get full headers. Good luck.

IT IS A SCAM. You will get a counterfeit or stolen check. There will be a request to wire part of the money back for some reason. A month or two from now the check will bounce. You will never hear from them again.

₪ ʎəɿʞɹɐq ₪

• Lyn G

Why are you opening mail from people you do not know? Opening spam mail alerts the sender that your address is a valid one and they send you loads and loads more.

When an E-mail offer sounds too good to be true, then it is definitely not true.

It is a scam to get your personal information and/or your money, or both!

Do NOT cash that check, it is not a valid check. Your bank will say it is good, but after you cash it and they find out it is niot good and it bounces, they will want their money back - from YOU!!!

You could even get charged.

Do not respond to that mail.

Report it, forward it to the FTC at spam@uce.gov and to the abuse desk of the sender's ISP.

For yahoo, report them here: http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/ya...

Choose Fraud as the reason for the violation you're reporting on.

Also, if the E-mail appears to be impersonating a bank or other company or organization, forward the message to the actual organization.

And for your E-mail safety, remember:

Do not ever open E-mail from people you do not know; and unless you are absolutely sure who it is from then treat them as spam.

Opening spam alerts the sender that your address is a valid one and they send you loads and loads more of it to you.

Never, ever give out your personal information to anyone, for any reason, whether by E-mail, snail mail, phone call, or at your front door.

And do not ever send money, checks or money orders to; or cash checks, money orders for any one - ever.

You can save the check and all documentation for evidence when you report this to either the postal service or the FBI as this is mail fraud.

This is a scam for sure.

It is a twist on a couple of existing scams that have been around for a while.

Do not email this person ANY personal information at all.

I guarantee you will be sorry if you get involved with this in any way.

I'd bet its similar to a check cashing scam. You deposit their bad money and launder the money for them

However, this first red flag to me was.. Lots of spelling and punctuation errors

This is always a good sign the person isnt from the country they say they are

I doubt they are from Australia.

I would not pick up anything this guy is shipping. You could be arrested for

trafficking something.

This job is so easy, you could get a neighbor kid to do it.

Why advertise it ? It certainly isnt worth paying someone $200

its a scam, bring the cheque and original envelope to the police with copies of all emails with the full header, whatever you do, do not deposit it or it could land you in prison for bank fraud, it's a counterfeit cheque that won't be discovered by the bank for 3-4 weeks. And they are using you to fence expensive goods bought with stolen credit cards, google reshipping scam. People are going to prison after being caught up in these scams. Cut off all contact with this person and dont send your full name or address, you do not want to be the person receiving stolen goods

http://www.fraudguides.com/home-business-reshippin...